Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those are specific to the US and this is an international board. For instance, Canada's re-entry requirements for all international travelers are the same and onerous on healthy returnees and extremely unpleasant and even more expensive for covid infected returnees.
Absolutely. And I did mention specific to US in earlier post but does bear repeating.

Local/State laws can supersede this.[/QUOTE:
NO LOCAL AND STATE LAW DOES NOT SUPERSEDE FEDERAL.

This is basic constitution, local and state does not supersede federal, federal does not supersede the constitution.

You are correct, I stated it poorly.
The CDC statement is:
"Follow all state and local recommendations or requirements after travel."
The current CDC regulation is from the Federal Register: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Global-Airline-Testing-Order-RPWSigned-Encrypted-p.pdf.
You get to select one of these options in order to board a flight to the US:
upload_2021-2-16_18-42-37.png

So you can show a viral test (PCR or antigen, most likely) or proof that you are within 3 months of having recovered from Covid-19.
Then, once you get back into the US, the quarantine/self-isolation rules apply, per CDC and Executive Order.

You are correct, I stated it poorly.
The CDC statement is:
"Follow all state and local recommendations or requirements after travel."
The current CDC regulation is from the Federal Register: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Global-Airline-Testing-Order-RPWSigned-Encrypted-p.pdf.
You get to select one of these options in order to board a flight to the US:
View attachment 642501
So you can show a viral test (PCR or antigen, most likely) or proof that you are within 3 months of having recovered from Covid-19.
Then, once you get back into the US, the quarantine/self-isolation rules apply, per CDC and Executive Order.
OK. Maybe a little clarification after a couple of emails with the CDC. Seems there are no specific recommendations for individuals returning after testing positive while traveling abroad beyond the “documentation of recovery.” So it comes down to a bit of interpretation of the guidelines.

First, there is no mandatory quarantine. Of course the recommendation will always be to quarantine when possible.

Second, the option for viral testing to shorten quarantine doesn’t really apply here since repeat testing is not generally recommended within 3 months of infection. A negative would be a negative but a positive would not necessarily indication reinfection.

So until additional recommendations are made for those returning to the US after testing positive while traveling it seems the choice to quarantine is an individual decision based on circumstances.

OK. Maybe a little clarification after a couple of emails with the CDC. Seems there are no specific recommendations for individuals returning after testing positive while traveling abroad beyond the “documentation of recovery.” So it comes down to a bit of interpretation of the guidelines.

First, there is no mandatory quarantine. Of course the recommendation will always be to quarantine when possible.

Second, the option for viral testing to shorten quarantine doesn’t really apply here since repeat testing is not generally recommended within 3 months of infection. A negative would be a negative but a positive would not necessarily indication reinfection.

So until additional recommendations are made for those returning to the US after testing positive while traveling it seems the choice to quarantine is an individual decision based on circumstances.
So the Executive Order means mothing?

... I have yet to see anyone die “from covid”. They all die from “covid related” meaning they have something else going on that covid compounds.

I have. It quite literally destroys lungs. It's not pretty, and that's in an ICU where patients are given enough of the right medications to be comfortable as it happens. COVID-19 is a capricious disease. You may be 90 years old and develop only mild symptoms, and you may be young, healthy as a horse and die from it. But, you can also be an asymptomatic carrier. Which means that your wife could have easily given it to you, you didn't become symptomatic, mistakenly thought that you didn't have it, and by not wearing a mask, you would have increased the risk of everyone around you by an order of magnitude. Simple masks are primarily for the protection of others, and those others primarily from asymptomatic carriers. N-95s are primarily for the wearer. I'm sick of masking too. But, I wear them because I care about the people around me. CDC masking guidelines are linked below.

COVID-19 and Your Health

For what it's worth, I've received both doses of the Pfizer vaccine. I felt lousy after the second one but recovered fully within 24 hours. I still mask, because I could still carry the disease. And, my cell phone reception has never been better :)

Re travel, it's a roll of the dice. Full disclosure, my entire family flew from RDU through Baltimore to KCI to see my ailing mother-in-law, then back home through Nashville in late January. I wore an N95 the entire time in the airports and on the planes, my family wore simple masks, we were scrupulous about hand hygiene and socially distanced when possible (and it was not possible on the Baltimore - KCI flight). We didn't get sick, but we're n = 4 and we may well have all become infected but not shown symptoms. YMMV. Again the CDC provides guidance:

COVID-19 and Your Health

Best regards,
DDM

So the Executive Order means mothing?
It depends on what you mean. The only requirement from the CDC is for testing prior to the flight home. That is enforced. The quarantine is a recommendation from the CDC, not a requirement. And again, the recommendation is focused more for those that test negative prior to their return to cover for exposure not detected by the test or from the trip home.

Copy and paste from the email...

“CDC does not require that international travelers undergo a mandatory federal quarantine but does recommend you get tested and stay home after travel.”

I had the take 35 flights last year, mostly for work, and all of the airports and rental cars and hotels that that entails.

I only wear an N95 and still wear it when most others are not. Got the second dose of Moderna yesterday. Happy to have that over with.

Also happy as I just got back from PDC for some cenote diving. Felt safe there, especially around locals who all seemed to be careful and masked.

Took a self-administered antigen test prior to the return flight.

Back
Top Bottom