Is it really a good deal and don’t buy used especially when new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Happyladydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I went for an allegedly never used but listed under used Aqualung pearl i3 on eBay. By all accounts indeed it appears never used. However, I orally inflated and filled it twice and both times it failed to hold air after some hours. The necessary inflator hose was also not included. So this is simply my experience I’m happy to share as we all learn from one another at all levels and never stop learning.
I’ve reached out for a refund and since it’s eBay I’m not worried about that. I could take it in to service it but after that and possible repairs and the needed hose, I may as well spring for the new one.
I’m out $20 in for return shipping for a great lesson learned so it is a positive experience at the end of the day. I’ll likely be posting again to ask about two different BCD brands I will choose from. Thanks

Yep return it, you bought a BCD with a gimmicky Low pressure inflator that are known to have issues. Aqualung parts are often proprietary (one off's) and expensive.
Nothing wrong with buying used. You just need to know what you are buying.

I can help you find something decent in Aus

What size do you need?
Also what state/area?
Where do you dive? Cold water or Tropical?
Do you want integrated weights or use a weight belt?
How long have you been diving?
Do you have much mechanical aptitude or like things simple?
Any colour preferences?

I always try a google search like this when looking at a product. It will not give you everything you need to make a decision but can help.

upload_2020-12-16_14-42-5.png

The hose is more than likely attached to the reg set the seller also has for sale, if you're quick so as not to waste more time as you experiment with other peoples financial situations

Have a quick read of your thread of how not to buy a bcd

Buying a used bcd

The hose is more than likely attached to the reg set the seller also has for sale, if you're quick so as not to waste more time as you experiment with other peoples financial situations

Have a quick read of your thread of how not to buy a bcd

Buying a used bcd

Wow! Devil’s advocate much? IT DOES NOT HOLD AIR!!! Hosing issue aside!!! Let me go ahead and die as long as the other person gets their money though, right? ‍♀️ Furthermore, if a person sells a product insisting it’s brand new and never used then it absolutely should come with what it’s supposed to. Period. I go to look at setting it up and it’s missing a part it comes with. That’s horse ****. Nowhere in the ad does it state it’s missing parts.

Please don’t reply to any more of my posts as you’re not any kind of positive help at all.

If the admin could advise of any block feature I’d appreciate it too. Thanks

Yep return it, you bought a BCD with a gimmicky Low pressure inflator that are known to have issues. Aqualung parts are often proprietary (one off's) and expensive.
Nothing wrong with buying used. You just need to know what you are buying.

I can help you find something decent in Aus

What size do you need?
Also what state/area?
Where do you dive? Cold water or Tropical?
Do you want integrated weights or use a weight belt?
How long have you been diving?
Do you have much mechanical aptitude or like things simple?
Any colour preferences?
Thanks so much but I’m going with new for now as it’s not worth the stress and brain damage.

The point is that most BCDs loose some small amount of air in a 24-hours period if filled hard. This leaks from the safety overpressure valve, and its entirely normal. Both my two BCDs do this, and not only now that they are 30 years old, but they did it since new. Perhaps they leaked more when new, as the rubber disk takes a while to "seat".
The safety overpressure valve is just a rubber disk with a plastic cap and a weak spring pushing the cap over the disk, it cannot be 100% airtight for hours when there is a significant internal pressure.
For finding if there is instead a real puncture in the bladder, you should submerge the BCD and look for air bubbles.

All that said, when you buy something on Ebay (or Amazon) and you are not happy of the good received, for any reason, you are entitled by law to send it back within a certain period, stated by the law of your state or country (it is 15 days here).
No explanation needed, you do not like, you ship back and get full refund.
This is the basis of E-commerce, without this rule E-commerce would have not catched up.

Th
The point is that most BCDs loose some small amount of air in a 24-hours period if filled hard. This leaks from the safety overpressure valve, and its entirely normal. Both my two BCDs does this, and not only now that they are 30 years old, but they did it since new. Perhaps they leaked more when new, as the rubber disk takes a while to "seat".
The safety overpressure valve is just a rubber disk with a plastic cap and a weak spring pushing the cap over the disk, it cannot be 100% airtight for hours when there is a significant internal pressure.
For finding if there is instead a real puncture in the bladder, you should submerge the BCD and look for air bubbles.

All that said, when you buy something on Ebay (or Amazon) and you are not happy of the good received, for any reason, you are entitled by law to send it back within a certain period, stated by the law of your state or country (it is 15 days here).
No explanation needed, you do not like, you ship back and get full refund.
This is the basis of E-commerce, without this rule E-commerce would have not catched up.
Many thanks for your kind feedback and help. It is sincerely appreciated.

So I went for an allegedly never used but listed under used Aqualung pearl i3 on eBay. By all accounts indeed it appears never used. However, I orally inflated and filled it twice and both times it failed to hold air after some hours. The necessary inflator hose was also not included. So this is simply my experience I’m happy to share as we all learn from one another at all levels and never stop learning.
I’ve reached out for a refund and since it’s eBay I’m not worried about that. I could take it in to service it but after that and possible repairs and the needed hose, I may as well spring for the new one.
I’m out $20 in for return shipping for a great lesson learned so it is a positive experience at the end of the day. I’ll likely be posting again to ask about two different BCD brands I will choose from. Thanks
@Happyladydiver hope you manage to get your Ebay claim sorted out.

Buying a "used" BCD is always difficult as it is hard to determine how well it hold air over time when pressurised at the time of purchase. This is especially true with auction sites such as Ebay where the sale is normally remote & dispatched.

Personally, while it sounds like a great system on paper, I am not a fan of the I3 system as it is a proprietary system, reportedly fairly easy to damage and difficult to service. A standard inflator is easier to maintain and repair (or replace) in the event of a fault or failure as well as being cheaper and more easily sourced. Also worth bearing in mind is ease of use in an emergency - everyone knows how a standard inflator works but might not with the I3. I should note that this is only my opinion and you can take it or leave it as you wish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom