Is it really a good deal and don’t buy used especially when new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t know too much about putting stuff together. I just read a ton of good things about the Hydros. I’m intrigued by the idea it moulds (correct spelling in Aus) to your body. It’s meant to dry super fast which is great for travel and that’s really important to me when things settle down. It’s meant to be comfortable and I really like how it looks too, if being really honest. I’m not saying that’s absolutely it but I feel like I could plunk down the cash and not have to buy another one for how many years. It’s also set up than you can replace a lot of the bits and pieces easily too. Of course, this is just the opinion of a very green diver so what do I know anyway. Lol

If you like it, that's awesome! IIRC, the ScubaPro Hyrdros is very similar to a BP/W setup, so I would still recommend trying one of those out, along with the Hydros if you can. If you're looking to save some money, I think the Dive Rite TransPack system is similar, and might be a bit more modular. That said, I have no clue how much all this costs over in Aus.

If you like it, that's awesome! IIRC, the ScubaPro Hyrdros is very similar to a BP/W setup, so I would still recommend trying one of those out, along with the Hydros if you can. If you're looking to save some money, I think the Dive Rite TransPack system is similar, and might be a bit more modular. That said, I have no clue how much all this costs over in Aus.

It is cheaper but I believe you still need to buy the weight pockets which adds an extra $170 if I’m not mistaken. Added to that, I can buy a pink wing as yes I’m a total girl lol and the numbers go up again. Besides being my favourite colour, I can justify that it will make me easier to spot in the water if need be.

Using a bright color (yellow, orang, pink) is a very good safety improvement.
Being visible is very important...
The partial wing I am using is yellow.

I dive a transpac (no k), I like it. Basically nite a soft backplate/wing. And yes I'm saying that just to irritate somebody... But I like it quite a bit.

My obvious hesitation is the cost of the Halcyon system if I am to be honest. Even if I tried it and really liked it, it would take a while to get one. I am also not sure if I like the idea of everything dangling off of me. Isn’t that more stuff to get caught on things?

Two things:

1. If it doesn't have the blue H, you didn't pay enough
2. Regardless of whether you're diving a BP/W or or a BCD, you don't want all kinds of stuff dangling off you. If you go BP/W, talk to someone about DIR setup. If everything's clipped off properly, it won't be all dangly.

Buying used always carries a small risk. Buying used from ebay, slightly more risk than pretty much anywhere else. I've bought plenty of used gear, but I wouldn't consider buying used scuba gear from ebay. Way too poor of a reputation.

Add $50 onto the price of any used gear so you can get it serviced. The only new I've had has been tanks and wetsuit. Bc, give it a visual and make sure it holds air. Anything you breathe through needs a service.

The title is " especially when new to diving', My thought are, if you are new, buy new, especially regulators, a new wetsuit or dry suit , the new ones around now are fantastic [who wants a smelly and sometimes, stiff old one? ], I suspect you were required to have a mask, fins, and boots [or socks] before you started the course.
And we need to keep the local dive shops, suppliers and the Australian [and for us both, Queensland] dive industry solvent.
Up North Qld. Some dive operations are "going under" [no pun] due to the lack of overseas tourists, gear sales are also down , support the dive industry any way you can, please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom