Is it true???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
One of my co-workers is in the Army reserve. He claims that his military scuba certification has expired.

While I know that civilian certs don't expire, do military certs expire?

That would depend on what his "SCUBA" certification is in. If he is a combat diver and he is on dive status he simply has to complete the requisite number of dives per year (6 qualifying dives within a six month period and one deep dive each year). If he fails to do this for more than 12 months he will have to be retrained by a combat dive sup.

Not as familiar with Engineering Divers but I believe they have to do at least 8 dives per year with minimum bottom times to maintain proficiency or they end up needing retraining. Because diving is their MOS they risk their career if they do not maintain proficiency.

I am not aware of any other divers in the Army.

if they are still in. the military may require them to keep it up to date but once they get out some agancies may reconize there certs and they would not expire but like the post up to says they hae to maintain for there mos.

Anyone with US Armed Forces SCUBA training can get a YMCA OW card (which never expires) for the cost of the card ($15) by providing a copy of the training record to any YMCA Instructor. Other agencies may have similar programs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom