Is Keystone the best dive on Puget Sound?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was having a conversation with an instructor from Wenatchee at the last race and he asserted that Keystone was the best dive on Puget Sound. I will admit that i have not dived Keystone yet, but have a hard time believing that it is better than Deception pass. Curious what other folx on here think. Is there someplace even better?

I have not been in at Deception Pass but I know it is better, so long as you have the tides and experience to do the dive. Keystone is good, and a lot simpler.

The best dive is the one where you have the best creature encounters, best conditions, best visibility, etc. Rarely do all of these things happen at the same time and place!

Keystone is very nice, full of color and creatures. But you can only dive it on very specific tides and currents, which occur for a few days every second week. Plus, it's on an island that you pretty much need to take a ferry to get to if coming from the south. Summer weekends can be challenging due to the ferry wait times.

Deception Pass !!

I haven't dove Deception Pass yet, but I would say Skyline (Burrow's Pass) is just a bit better than Keystone. The colors are a bit brighter and it is a little more challenging (but not Deception Pass level challenging.)

Also, if you're counting the Strait of Juan de Fuca in "Puget Sound", you probably need to include Salt Creek in the discussion of best dive in Puget Sound given the kelp forest there. Another site I have not dove yet, but it is on my list.

I haven't dove Deception Pass yet, but I would say Skyline (Burrow's Pass) is just a bit better than Keystone. The colors are a bit brighter and it is a little more challenging (but not Deception Pass level challenging.)

Also, if you're counting the Strait of Juan de Fuca in "Puget Sound", you probably need to include Salt Creek in the discussion of best dive in Puget Sound given the kelp forest there. Another site I have not dove yet, but it is on my list.
Salt Creek is incredible! I was just out there yesterday, actually. Absolutely gorgeous kelp forest & loads of critters. Tides & conditions can make it a bit tricky, though.

Back
Top Bottom