Is limited solo diving completely insane for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no such thing as a course audit. That breaks standards. You are in the class, or not, and you cannot be in the class until you have your 100 dives. Your instructor broke standards and issued you an invalid card, and he ought to be reported.
As for the one who audited they also made him wait until he had the 100 dives before certification so technically he had the dive number. In the standard I think it just says 100 for certification although most shops aren't going to teach it until you have 100 as it's only three open water dives to complete course so to do it at 55-60 to me would be a waste when you can get more skills from tech 40 with only a 50 dive requirement.
The OP said he would ask about audit not that an instructor issued him a card without doing course. And I'm pretty sure that no LDS will issue one without having done the course. Personally I would do tech 40 rather than self reliant.

Last edited:
Anyone can buy a book anyway. Not much harm in sitting in for a class
There is no book. The "class" is mostly in the water, and has massive liability for the instructor, even for real students. Imagine in court: "Mr Instructor, you knew the student did not have the clearly stated prerequisites for the class, and dId not sign any of the required forms as an auditor, and yet you allowed him to participate, which led directly to his drowning. How do you explain this?"

He said he would ask about audit not that an instructor issued him a card without doing course. And I'm pretty sure that no LDS will issue one without having done the course. Personally I would do tech 40 rather than self reliant.
You are talking about the OP. He is fine. I am responding to the landstander post.

In a nutshell, I'm very comfortable with the quality of training I received, and certainly won't be trying to make trouble for an instructor who did me a favor.
I'm sorry your instructor/friend broke the rules he agreed to uphold, and I'm happy you were not harmed. He is NOT doing himself a favor, however, because if there had been a problem, his insurance would not have covered him and PADI would not have defended him. His problem, not yours. Your friendship put him in an untenable position, and I'm sorry for him.

I'm sorry your instructor/friend broke the rules he agreed to uphold, and I'm happy you were not harmed. He is NOT doing himself a favor, however, because if there had been a problem, his insurance would not have covered him and PADI would not have defended him. His problem, not yours. Your friendship put him in an untenable position, and I'm sorry for him.

Tursiops, I completely agree with you, as I am sure nearly all instructors do. But trying to explain this to someone that is not an instructor is probably a waste of your time. Like trying to explain calculus to a dog, they just have no idea what you're talking about (and would rather you just give them a treat.)

Tursiops, I completely agree with you, as I am sure nearly all instructors do. But trying to explain this to someone that is not an instructor is probably a waste of your time. Like trying to explain calculus to a dog, they just have no idea what you're talking about (and would rather you just give them a treat.)

I think you are being somewhat rude here especially when you have nothing to contribute.

That sort of attitude is exactly why I rarely post on ScubaBoard. It can be a surprisingly toxic community.

That sort of attitude is exactly why I rarely post on ScubaBoard. It can be a surprisingly toxic community.
LOL! I guess you bring out the best in us.
Welcome back.

Back
Top Bottom