Is my brand new mask broken?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
1133216E-40B5-4A91-A786-3FEF2F7BBA67.jpeg
Hi all,
I’ve never done a scuba dive before and I’ve got my first dive coming up tomorrow. I’ve bought a Cressi Calibro mask and just noticed that the skirt is not attached to the frame and can be easily pulled away. Is this normal? (See picture attached)
Thanks,
Jack

I can't see anything helpful in your picture, but I can tell you this much- if there is a gap between the skirt and the mask you cannot use it. Now, if it's an extra layer of material and the mask is intact, that's another matter entirely.

I would also add that before you buy anymore gear get a few dives under your belt. Gear is very personal and task specific. You don’t know what works for you until you have compared. Reviews are great but should be way down the list on how to choose.

I also can't tell what is going on in your photo, and I don't have a Calibro here to look at, but here goes:

First, is the mask still sealing and keeping out water? If not, then no further discussion is required.

Now, here is the description of the Calibro "Integrated Dual Frame" from my Cressi catalog. This might explain it for you, or perhaps it indicates something just needs to be snapped back into place. (I can't quite visualize what is being described here without seeing the mask close up.)
IDF: "The Patented Dual frame Technology consists of the joining of two rigid frames, the first on the rear of the silicone skirt and the second, anterior to the first one, that support the lenses. When the two frames are joined and locked together, the silicone skirt remains locked in the middle to guarantee a perfect seal between the face piece and the lens."

You might be seeing a normal (for this mask) gap between the two frames, that allows for the better fit.

View attachment 517447 Hi all,
I’ve never done a scuba dive before and I’ve got my first dive coming up tomorrow. I’ve bought a Cressi Calibro mask and just noticed that the skirt is not attached to the frame and can be easily pulled away. Is this normal? (See picture attached)
Thanks,
Jack

Looks like it’s going to leak if it separates that easy. I’ve never seen a mask skirt release like that

I also can't tell what is going on in your photo, and I don't have a Calibro here to look at, but here goes:

First, is the mask still sealing and keeping out water? If not, then no further discussion is required.

Now, here is the description of the Calibro "Integrated Dual Frame" from my Cressi catalog. This might explain it for you, or perhaps it indicates something just needs to be snapped back into place. (I can't quite visualize what is being described here without seeing the mask close up.)
IDF: "The Patented Dual frame Technology consists of the joining of two rigid frames, the first on the rear of the silicone skirt and the second, anterior to the first one, that support the lenses. When the two frames are joined and locked together, the silicone skirt remains locked in the middle to guarantee a perfect seal between the face piece and the lens."

You might be seeing a normal (for this mask) gap between the two frames, that allows for the better fit.
I think you’re right about the double skirt. I’ve checked and it shouldn’t lead to any leaks so I guess it just needs popping back in? Any tips?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom