Is my NASDS card still good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was certified by NASDS in 1967 with my brother, but it was so different then with just dive watches and J-valves that I did the PADI certification with my wife in 2013 so I could get up to date. We have since done the AOW and the deep diver certs. I do not count my 1967 dives in my number of dives because I do not remember how many we did and I had never heard of log books back then :)

Looking for opinions-

I was certified by NASDS back in the 1970s. NASDS is now SSI.

Is there any advantage to update the NASDS card to an SSI card?

I'll be traveling to the Caribbean to dive next winter, and don't want any trouble because the card isn't recognized.

Thanks!
when is the last time you dove? Depending on what your card says, most likely it's only open water. It will be recognized as only open water. More than 10 years since last dive I highly suggest taking the ow course over ..alot has changed, you have surely changed as we'll.

Since the original post was from 2006, I'm guessing he has gone on his trip.

when is the last time you dove? Depending on what your card says, most likely it's only open water. It will be recognized as only open water. More than 10 years since last dive I highly suggest taking the ow course over ..alot has changed, you have surely changed as we'll.

I am posting because I see some people have commented in 2015. The question is still valid and the answer is "if a dive operator will take the card it is still valid." The posts saying SSI will give you a replacement card are no longer valid.

My wife has a NASDS certification from May 1973. Most of the places we go accept it because they know us. However, I always check. Last year I sent SSI an email to find if they would replace my card. They would not do that directly, and referred me to a local dive shop that had an SSI instructor. He insisted on a check out of some sort and a payment of $200-250 (can't remember exactly).

To me, this is certainly unethical, if not illegal. At least it is actionable if enough people sued SSI. Not much chance of that happening, of course. The reason is that when SSI and NASDS merged SSI became the corporate entity. As such, they assumed the assets, liabilities and obligations of NASDS. NASDS awarded these certifications after being paid for them under the understanding that they were "for life." As any diving reader knows, that is the accepted industry practice. Now SSI will not recognize the NASDS certification without further payment of money for something that was already paid for. I would not mind a small service fee for a replacement card, but to demand another substantive payment is an unacceptable ripoff.

Now, when we go somewhere we have not been before, I check ahead of time to see if they recognize NASDS. Usually the answer is yes. However, I just ran into a PADI operation in the Caribbean that initially said no unless we "upgraded" to SSI. After a few emails, they checked with PADI and got the response that PADI still recognizes NASDS, but has interpreted some of its old certifications as being something less than a basic open water certification. Not sure how they made that distinction because I recall the old NASDS (pre 1973) certifications were a hell of a lot more stringient that a new diver gets under the PADI program.

P.S. We still have her old card with the microfilm training history.

My NASDS card says advanced diver, so far I've had no problems but I will try to get an updated card through SSI .

I doubt SSI will give you a card. I was / am in the same boat. I have my OW from SSI but misplaced my Log book and Cards during a renovation. My AOW and Stress and Rescue were from NASDS. SSI told me 'No Dice' they don't have the records. My certs were from 1998-99.

Back
Top Bottom