Is My Scuba Instructor a Former Car Salesman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbeck3579

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm mostly venting here -- so if you teach and sell scuba gear maybe my experience may change the way you do sales -- if not, oh well, go for it :) CA isn't a small town so word of mouth means little here. I know everyone needs to make a living, and I really wanted to support my local dive shop, but... I went to the scuba show yesterday and did comparison shopping. I knew what I wanted down to the model numbers, and I knew what the dive shops were offering as "show prices" and the bonuses they were "throwing in". Most dive shops will match any other dive shop prices during a show -- and in their shop outside of a show. The instructor said he would match show prices; great, I will order through him. It is the decent thing for me to do, with the benefit of having my local dive shop help me out in the future -- a business relationship.

I emailed the instructor this morning and I was shocked with the first quote -- I was specific about the "deals" but I specifically gave him leeway for a decent quote on the whole order -- all of it put together. Maybe a little more here, but less there. I know some manufacturers provide a very small mark-up margin, while others have a huge mark-up margin. The first quote was MORE than manufacturer suggested retail -- forget the discounted show prices, or the 10% off student price -- full price ++++.

He called me shortly after the quote arrived in my inbox. When I mentioned how high the quote was he said "I wanted to make sure I had the equipment right. Well okay -- I will give you one more chance -- I get busy and ask someone to review my stuff for errors too. However, I had provided a typed list to compare it to. I explained in my first email that almost every dive shop is offering NO SALES TAX if you buy a complete scuba package (the package I wanted is pretty high-end) plus they had some pretty good prices before the tax is added -- including his dive shop! All the dive shops are throwing in different things like a free wireless transmitter with the computer, free mesh bags, knife, etc., typical sales stuff... I also reminded him of the 10% student discount, and the dive shop booth across from his gave me a 15% off coupon -- which I would have scanned and sent to him so he could verify it.

On the first quote the regulator I chose went from a pretty darned good one, part titanium, to full titanium and an *outrageous price*. I would have actually considered the beautiful regulator had he honored ANY of the pricing, but the second quote was a bigger joke than the first -- after explaining he was still at or above retail and show prices and he didn't discount anything (close to $400 sales tax still on there) -- my blood pressure went up, figuratively speaking but I didn't have my cuff handy so it may have literally gone up -- hahaha.

This is why I buy my cars through Sam's Club or Costco -- Sam's and Costco give you the participating dealer name and the price of the car is guaranteed to be a certain percentage above what the dealer paid for it -- dealer price is easily verified through consumer reports. I hate the whole car salesman bate and switch. You sit down with the finance mgr and he tacks on stuff, price goes up, then you have to walk out before they say "hold on, sit down, I'll have to talk to my mgr.". Anyone who has ever bought a car knows the game -- if you hate it, Sam's or Costco -- it works.

Now I'm supposed to take classes with someone who has tried to cheat me out of my money. Trust is a big issue with me when I'm planning to be your customer and establish a business relationship for years to come. Argh, this is AWFUL. I'll suck it up, I'm a big girl. I told him I've decided not to buy anything today. I did tell him I felt like I was buying a car... Geez... We aren't talking 20 or even 50 bucks here -- Heck the sales tax alone... What the hey, doesn't he think I can add two plus two? I'm going to *try* to get through his class, but I'm not happy I will be spending one on one time learning how to stay alive with someone I don't trust. I'm old school: a man is only as good as his word. Okay, done venting :)

Unfortunately very common in the scuba world. Many of us have switched to a couple of shops that have a great online presence, namely Dive Right In Scuba, and Dive Gear Express. They have fair prices, unbelievably good customer service, and no used car tactics. I would not even bother giving your guy another chance. You gave him all the info he needed to make his best offer to you and the best he could do was ripoff level prices, so vote with your wallet.

www.divegearexpress.com
www.diverightinscuba.com

It's a very difficult world for many local dive shops, but I totally hear you. I appreciate my local dive shop who gives me advice & seems to make a decent living without the used car salesman crap. They seem to get more business simply because they don't pull tactics like this.

This whole experience may cloud your learning as well so it's worth a consideration as to whether it makes sense to ask for a different instructor or shop.

I was in a similar situation. I wanted to give my LDS my business, but they just seemed exorbitantly priced. I knew the gear I wanted from talking to the friends I would be diving with and trying out a bunch of different configurations.

I purchased the basics from my LDS; mask, booties, fins and snorkel. Then I looked online to find the best price for the rest of my gear. I always give them a chance to match the best price I find, but they can't match any of it. But on some items they came within 10-15%. Those items I bought from them. They were pretty understanding about the rest of the stuff. I try to give them plenty of referral business and they exclusively fill my tanks when I am in town. I buy all the little stuff from them and I also go on a lot of trips organized by them. I truly want them to be successful, but I also want to get the best value for my money.

As far as trust issues go, my gut tells me to advise you shop around for a different instructor/ dive shop. But, ultimately, it is up to you.

Your venting is well said. Especially your comparison with cars sales (sorry to any sales folks on the forum). Ditto scuba shops but there are a few who regularly offer great deals and awesome service (dris was already mentioned)

If you can get a better show price, I'd say go for it. I would be surprised of any instructor that didn't or wouldn't do the same thing.

I was in a similar situation. I wanted to give my LDS my business, but they just seemed exorbitantly priced. I knew the gear I wanted from talking to the friends I would be diving with and trying out a bunch of different configurations.

I purchased the basics from my LDS; mask, booties, fins and snorkel. Then I looked online to find the best price for the rest of my gear. I always give them a chance to match the best price I find, but they can't match any of it. But on some items they came within 10-15%. Those items I bought from them. They were pretty understanding about the rest of the stuff. I try to give them plenty of referral business and they exclusively fill my tanks when I am in town. I buy all the little stuff from them and I also go on a lot of trips organized by them. I truly want them to be successful, but I also want to get the best value for my money.

As far as trust issues go, my gut tells me to advise you shop around for a different instructor/ dive shop. But, ultimately, it is up to you.

I often pay my LDS somewhat more than I would if I bought the equipment online. The reason for this is because I know my LDS will assist/train me on the gear as needed & will help me if there's a problem with the gear. They go out of the way for me in a number of other ways because I've built a solid relationship with them. I also know that the gear is new & not used/damaged trying to be passed off as new. (I've seen a number of people get into scary trouble on dives when they bought some gear online from a well known online retailer which turned out to be damaged.)

So I do the opposite: I buy my life saving equipment from my trusted LDS (e.g., regs, bcd, computer, etc.) and I buy the smaller stuff online that won't hurt me if there's a problem (e.g., wet suit, fins, etc.). The key word here is "trusted". If the LDS is just money-grubbing, I'd go elsewhere.

Now I'm supposed to take classes with someone who has tried to cheat me out of my money.
There is no gun to your head. Once trust is compromised, you'll be second guessing everything. There are some great, non-greedy instructors in your area. I gave you one name, but there are others.

A lot of my gear (Dive Rite) was not sold by my LDS at the time. (They recently became an authorized dealer/service). DGX is fairly close to me, so they got my business for bpw and regs. They have awesome customer service and I have had zero issues dealing with them.

Ive bought most of my expensive gear from local shops and most of my small parts and pieces on line (amazon mostly). Ive only had 1 dive shop go full retard on me, and I simply wont go back in there, ever.

Short version... my original LDS went out of business. I went to one closest to my house to visit. They seemed nice enough. A few months later I took my regs in to get them serviced (annual) and the owner told me that me that my regulators needed to be replaced because of a known design issue that he personally discovered. He went on to state that he had been in close contact with Sherwood and that there was no fix for it short of a full factory rebuild and that it could take several months with no guarantee of actual repair. (note that this shop is an authorized Sherwood dealer and repair shop. Now, I dont know any better and likely would have taken him at his word but then he said "With the computers you bought at your original shop you wont be able to get service either, so plan on replacing those. Suunto Zoop computers were what he was telling me to replace...

At that point I could clearly smell the ********. I took my regs and left, got home and reached out to Sherwood to talk to them about the regulators. I received a call from the local Sherwood rep who told me he could put me with a shop that would service my regs and address the issue ASAP. (the issue... one of the 1st stages was testing at 175psi)

I wonder how many new divers this guy has screwed over the years.

Back
Top Bottom