Is OMS the same as Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope, they’re not the same, OMS is same as DUI I think, Halcyon has relations with only Santi I believe, just a coincidence that both companies are related to a drysuit manufacturer I think.

The picture of the Halcyon wing looks more like a 40lb wing rather than a 60lb one, not uncommon to see that kind of stuff all over internet for all kinds of products/manufacturers. I’m saying that because the 60lb one would have it’s wider part right at the center, here’s an accurate picture https://images.app.goo.gl/rANxJuvih4MWEuPX8

The corrugated hose is different, the elbow is different, the dump valve is different, can’t comment on quality of OMS one, I have never seen one, I own 5 different Halcyon wings, the quality is top notch and so is the warranty!

I cannot be 100% sure but my answer is no. My understanding is that there cannot be a patent on the look of a wing. So manufacturers can copy each other all they want. Looking at the wings some differences are the corrugated hose, dump valve, and most importantly the bladder. The Halcyon's is a coated fabric while the OMS is polyurethane. The fabric is tougher in my opinion. For the outer shell, the Halcyon says Cordura while the OMS just says 1000 denier. not sure if that makes a difference. I would email OMS and ask where it is made. Halcyon's are made in the USA.

That said you could always swap bladders and the hose if you want. Diving-wise they should be the same. I have a DRIS single tank wing that is a copy of the Eclipse and it dives the same but the build is cheaper.

Thanks gentlemen. I was not referring to the hose and the valve but the cut and the dimensions. I presently dive a Dive Rite classic wing and was wondering if this particular cut that we see in Halcyon and OMS would result in a more streamlined profile because when I compare these to my DR Classic, the thicker bottom is meant to trap more air in the lower part of the wing than the DR Classic.

The bottom part is probably not going to have any air in it, when you are in horizontal trim anyway. It will be under the bottom part of the tanks. The sides will have all the air, as they will be floating up beside the tanks and, thus, the highest point. So, a fatter bottom portion of the wing isn't really going to change your streamlining, I don't think.

If you want a more streamlined wing, try the Dive Rite Rec EXP or XT. That is 45 # of lift. It works fine with my double 120s. And it gives me the same trim as my Dive Rite Classic XT does. This is in contrast to the Oxycheq 55 I have and the Halcyon Explorer 55 that I used to have, that both put more lift towards my butt and cause my trim to go head down.

You are welcome to borrow my Rec EXP and try it out any time you like. It is my personal favorite wing for doubles.

The bottom part is probably not going to have any air in it, when you are in horizontal trim anyway. It will be under the bottom part of the tanks. The sides will have all the air, as they will be floating up beside the tanks and, thus, the highest point. So, a fatter bottom portion of the wing isn't really going to change your streamlining, I don't think.

If you want a more streamlined wing, try the Dive Rite Rec EXP or XT. That is 45 # of lift. It works fine with my double 120s. And it gives me the same trim as my Dive Rite Classic XT does. This is in contrast to the Oxycheq 55 I have and the Halcyon Explorer 55 that I used to have, that both put more lift towards my butt and cause my trim to go head down.

You are welcome to borrow my Rec EXP and try it out any time you like. It is my personal favorite wing for doubles.

More lift in the butt is exactly what I am trying to achieve. In my case, I am bottom heavy. I had a horse shoe wing and the shape and the air distribution would make me foot heavy. When I switched to Dive Rite Classic, it gave more lift in the butt but may be not as much as I would like. Just looking at the shape of DR wings vs Halcyon or OMS, the latter seemed to be designed to distribute more air at the bottom than even my DR Classic. Was that your experience with Halcyon 55?

I also recall reading your post that DR wing corrected your trim by making your less top heavy? That seems to confirm my presumption that if more lift is needed in the butt, than Halcyon or OMS may be even better suited that DR series.

Btw ... if you still have that Oxycheq or the Halcyon, I wouldn't mind giving them a test dive just to get a feel.

I've never heard about an OMS tax.

I do know about the "H" tax.

For me, the Halcyon brand is akin to Audi, Mercedes or BMW. It's quality, and you're pretty much guaranteed both quality and customer service, but if you're on a budget it might not necessarily be worth it to you.

For more lift in the butt, look for a wing that has sides that get bigger towards the bottom. The DR wings have sides that are pretty cylindrical - the same width from top to bottom. I think that is why they do not make me foot-light and I like them.

The Halcyon I had was a horseshoe, not a donut, and it gave too much lift (for me) at the bottom.

My Oxycheq also gives me too much lift at the bottom and it is a donut.

You are welcome to try my Oxycheq. It is a Vertex Extreme 55. It has an exterior that feels very much like the DR XT wing exterior. I have been meaning to sell it, so if you like it, we can probably work something out... :)

I sold the Halcyon long ago.

Of course, you could also ditch those heavy-ass Jet fins and get some Deep6 Eddy fins, if you don't want your feet sinking... :wink:

I have Eddy fins in L and XL you can try, too...

(if you already switched to lighter fins, then never mind...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom