Is rust inside a steel tank normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the EU council take strange decisions sometimes, o regulations.
Same thing happen with french fries, and the maximum temperature autorized to fries potatoes, except for Belgium... ( what is bad for the all EU is good for Belgium :cheers: )

Same thing happen with french fries, and the maximum temperature autorized to fries potatoes, except for Belgium... ( what is bad for the all EU is good for Belgium :cheers: )

FAKE NEWS, there is no official recommendation from Europe on oil temperature for frying potatoes!

REAL NEWS, only Belgians can make real French Fries. If you do not cook your fries twice @ very different temperatures, you juts cook a pale imitation :yeahbaby::cheers:

FAKE NEWS, there is no official recommendation from Europe on oil temperature for frying potatoes!

There are alot of those fakes.

But also sometimes our local politicians blame the EU for unpopular laws. Like Finnish snus ban and Swedish ban on hunting ravens. (snus is aloved in Sweden and hunting ravens is aloved in Finland, but both bans is blamed on EU)

I think they believe the beef fat used for frying the frites will kill you before the acrylamide has a chance to get you.

-Z

?????? In Germany they require by law that you have two separate independent 1st stage regulators either on a Y valve on a single tank, or on a set of doubles.
And in Sweden (or where ever) apparently they eat crow and love it!!
And in Belgium they have a law that says you cannot cook french fries in oil above a certain temperature, oh wait that was fake news??????

OK, I don’t feel so bad now.
I though living in California we were doomed, but I guess we have a ways to go.

The standard hdyrostatic test for a SCUBA cylinder in Belgium that is only filled with air (21% O2) is conducted using oil unless it is specified to use water. I have confirmed this with Apragaz in Bruxelles. My understanding is that each EU country can set its own regulations more stringent than general EU laws which is why our neighbors to the west (France) might only use water to conduct the hydrostatic test.

Here is some info I have found on testing in Belgium:

La ré-épreuve optique:
  • doit être effectuée tous les 30 mois selon la réglementation belge
  • ré-épreuve hydraulique obligatoire si les 30 mois sont dépassés
  • la date de référence est la date de fabrication.
  • poinçonnage « RR + date »

La ré-épreuve hydraulique:
  • être effectuée tous les 5 ans selon la réglementation belge
  • la date de référence est la date de fabrication.
  • poinçonnage « R + date
  • Les bouteilles air sont ré-éprouvées à l'huile
  • Les bouteilles Nitrox sont ré-éprouvées à l'eau
  • Les bouteilles d'oxygénothérapie et de Paintball/airsoft ne doivent pas passer par la ré-épreuve optique à condition d'être estampillées pour leur utilisation
The optical re-test:
must be carried out every 30 months according to Belgian regulations
mandatory hydraulic re-test if the 30 months are exceeded
the reference date is the date of manufacture.
punching "RR + date"
The hydraulic re-test:
be carried out every 5 years according to Belgian regulations
the reference date is the date of manufacture.
punching "R + date
Air bottles are re-tested with oil
Nitrox bottles are re-tested with water
Oxygen and Paintball / airsoft cylinders must not be re-tested for optical use provided they are stamped for use

REAL NEWS, only Belgians can make real French Fries. If you do not cook your fries twice @ very different temperatures, you juts cook a pale imitation :yeahbaby::cheers:

Yes, they ( Belgians ) use real Frenchmen for their french fries.:rofl3:

The short answer is ALL steel that is exposed to oxygen and water rusts. Corrosion is a process of combustion. Water accelerates the process and salt water accelerates it even faster. "Rust" happens when an Iron atom loses electrons to an Oxygen atom. For the Iron electron to get to the Oxygen electron, it has to pass thru water.

Every steel tank I have inspected has some rust unless it's brand new from the factory. In newer cylinders it might not be visible with the naked eye, especially when peeping thu a 3/4 inch hole, because we can't see electrons with the naked eye. According to PSI, corrosion inside a steel tank is acceptable unless it is to the point that it is flaking off.

Since I am PSI certified, I go by PSI standards. "Internet" inspectors with the "YouTube cylinder certification" might argue differently, But you'd better own your own tumbler if you're gonna "de-rust" any cylinder that has any amount of rust or you'll go bankrupt fast.

I know they have corrosion inhibitors for steel cylinders. I've never used them and my concern would be the health/safety aspect of breathing whatever chemical is in the inhibitor. But I don't know enough about breathing corrosion inhibitor chemicals to have an opinion either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom