Is Scubapro what it used to be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sp shot them selfs in the foot with this new policy of no free parts , i have been servicing reg for over 25 years, and diy with out training is just dumb ,i have over 75 personal regs iv always liked sp , rebuilt 100s , i have just switched my personal sp regs to atomic . johnson world wide made a big mistake taking that kits for life away i think there going to lose more money than giving away a 5 dollar kit every year .............

over the last year, i am hearing more and more "less than stellar" things about SP and their CS...

sp shot them selfs in the foot with this new policy of no free parts , i have been servicing reg for over 25 years, and diy with out training is just dumb ,i have over 75 personal regs iv always liked sp , rebuilt 100s , i have just switched my personal sp regs to atomic . johnson world wide made a big mistake taking that kits for life away i think there going to lose more money than giving away a 5 dollar kit every year .............

And a day of no-fail training makes it smart???

I figure the cost of a kit to Scubapro is closer to $1

....not to mention the savings realized by of avoiding an unnecessary "annual" service. But never mind that, everyone should learn to inspect their own equipment.

The whole thing was basically a hoax from the get go. It was a loss leader for the shops designed back in the days of the illegal "fair-trade" arrangement between NASDS, ScubaPro, and Bailey Suits that forced folks back into the LDS, every year, to "keep their warranty." First of all, there was no warranty that was effected by the yearly service arrangement, there was a parts for life arrangement based on the fear of loosing a warranty that was either not revocable or not in effect. The real joke of it all was that there were any number of really competent regulator repair operations that were not ScubaPro dealers who'd do great servicing, at a lower total price than most ScubaPro dealers would even with the "free parts" deal. They laughed all the way to the bank. Frankly I can't see what SP gained by cancelling the program, except that with the death of "Fair Trade" and NASDS and the rise of the internet, the scam was being seen for what it was.

How does a Scubapro M25/A700 match up against an Atomic B2?

Buy the Atomic. I had SP regs for the first 19 or so years of my diving. In 2010 I bought an Atomic T2x. Last year I bought my wife a B2. Atomic regs are the very best regs on the market today. How do I know? Because that's what I own.

I dove for 10+ years in the 70's and early 80's and used a Scubapro Mk 5. Due to family, work, etc. I stopped diving and am now getting back into it (I'm 62). Have started over with certification (too long out of it, too much has changed), and am looking to buy good equipment. LDS says that Scubapro isn't what it used to be quality wise and recommends Atomic. Is that comment true about Scubapro? How does a Scubapro M25/A700 match up against an Atomic B2? I will mostly be diving in Southern California.

I would use your original reg if you still have it. Scubapro still makes parts for every reg they ever sold. Find a good LDS that deals with Scubapro and they should be able to restore them to like new status if they are still in reasonable shape. A few years ago I picked up an R109, R108HP, MK3 and MK5 then got rid of my newer regs. These are every bit as good as what is on the market today and are very easy to service yourself.

You mean either G250 or S600.
I also prefer my A700 over the S600(metal barrel), I find the air comes out a bit more moist on the A700.

You can get a metal air barrel for that S600, and it wont crack like the plastic ones are prone to.

--

To compare the skill and experience needed to service and properly tune a reg set to fixing a toilet is pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

You can get a metal air barrel for that S600, and it wont crack like the plastic ones are prone to.

--

To compare the skill and experience needed to service and properly tune a reg set to fixing a toilet is pretty ridiculous in my opinion.
Then I can only assume that you've never done both.

Scubapro is still the best. They have a full line of regs., B.C.'s and gear.

They continue to introduce new and exciting products, but still sell & support 40 year old classics.

For example, the new nova's and the Jet fins; the new MK17/A700 and the MK2 plus/G250V.

They still support regs that are decades old.

IMHO, Scubapro's customer service is # 1.

Next year, I will have 40 years diving their gear.

I just did 26 hours on the new X-Tek backplate in Cozumel.
However, I still love my classic!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom