Is SeaLife wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnrogge

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I bought my DC800 on May 31st 2010 and took it to the Bahamas. It was great, had no complaints about it. Made a total of 6 dives and 2 snorkel trips with the camera and everything was great. Came back to So-Cal and made a trip out to Catalina when disaster struck. The metal bracket that the lanyard connects to ripped out of the housing while diving at Catalina. I came out of the water with a lanyard, metal bracket, and no camera. I had the camera less than 30 days and it made it through a total of 6 dives, dying on the 7th. I contacted the store I bought it at, and they called SeaLife who promised to check the lanyard and metal piece and said it sounded like a warranty failure and they would replace it. Well, many weeks later and they send me a new case... no camera. Wouldn't the camera be in the case when I lost it??? What the hell am I going to do with a case and no camera? I feel SeaLife should replace the camera also because the only reason the camera is lost is that their case was a warrantied failure! Am I wrong about this?

i'm surprised you even got a case to be honest with you. I'm a sealife dealer and while they provide great customer service usually, I don't think this would be covered in a warranty.

Call Sealife and see what they say.

Send an email to Sealife Joe also, he is on this board

I bought my DC800 on May 31st 2010 and took it to the Bahamas. It was great, had no complaints about it. Made a total of 6 dives and 2 snorkel trips with the camera and everything was great. Came back to So-Cal and made a trip out to Catalina when disaster struck. The metal bracket that the lanyard connects to ripped out of the housing while diving at Catalina. I came out of the water with a lanyard, metal bracket, and no camera. I had the camera less than 30 days and it made it through a total of 6 dives, dying on the 7th. I contacted the store I bought it at, and they called SeaLife who promised to check the lanyard and metal piece and said it sounded like a warranty failure and they would replace it. Well, many weeks later and they send me a new case... no camera. Wouldn't the camera be in the case when I lost it??? What the hell am I going to do with a case and no camera? I feel SeaLife should replace the camera also because the only reason the camera is lost is that their case was a warrantied failure! Am I wrong about this?

That sucks, but emphasizes the need for a good insurance policy. In many cases, products have a disclaimer that they are liable only for the replacement of the product, not any incidental damages. I can see both sides of this, but I think you'll get further by making an appeal to SeaLife to consider this point before chastising them over it. Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious and it may be an oversight they're willing to correct.

If they just flat out refuse to even give it consideration, then you might have a legitimate public gripe.

MNRogge, Just contact our service department as they might have assumed that the camera is with you. This could happen if the metal lanyard loop came off on land. Please PM your PMA number so I can look into this.

Joe

True, folks on the other side don't always think the same way we do. Just let them know what happened and see what happens. I have dealt with SeaLife for warranty problems and they have always take care of the problem.

I think I would be putting the question to them.
also just wondering if you made your purchase on a Gold credit card.
Mine gives insurance coverage to all purchases for three months. Lost stolen or damaged.
After that, if it was a camera, it is covered in my household contents insurance, as is my watch, and sunglasses.

SeaLife Joe, I'm actually going in to Sport Chalet today to pick up the case and get the paperwork including RMA number. They've been handling all communication for me. I was so angry when I got back from Catalina that they volunteered to handle everything for me. I plan on calling SeaLife this afternoon after picking it up and will PM you the number later. I wanted to get people's input before I called in, maybe I was expecting too much and wanted to see... thanks for your input guys!

I am really impressed that they replaced it at all, but looks like you're well served here.

I used Sealife Cameras for years, starting with the 35 mm to th DC Series. Never had a problem with Sealife in regards to service. In fact, one year in Cancun, I had a problem with a new strobe. The arrange for an exchange in Cancun for me.

They are more than reasonable and easy to work with

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom