Is the air on this 12v hookah system safe to breath?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

letsurf

Registered
Reaction score
I just purchased a 12v hookah system online but after I received it and did some research it appears the air compressors is made in China and originally for aquarium use:

12 volt air pump portable compressor aquarium water aeration aquaculture fish & electromagnetic air pump of ACQ 910 DC pump 12V-in Pet Products from Home & Garden on Aliexpress.com

Is this air safe to breath? They are being sold on ebay and claim it is especially designed to breath air, doesn't contain any oil, and doesn't create fumes:

AIR Compressor Electric DC 12V Hookah Diving Yacht Boat Hull Cleaning Dredging | eBay

12V Electric Hookah Diving Complete KIT Boat Cleaning Gold Dredge Pool Scuba | eBay

Also, I emailed them about safety and they said because it is such a low pressure unit I don't have to worry about it being harmful. Is this true?

There was a thread about a year ago on the same setup.

It's not designed for breathing air for a diver. It might work because there is no oil and low pressure, but that does not mean there are not other contaminants in the system (pump / hose / modified snorkel). To me it looks like something a kid might brew up in a garage to play in his pool with. It does not look all that comfortable to use and I would question if it would deliver the amount of air needed for a diver dredging or cleaning a hull. Since the air is delivered at ambient or slightly above(not at an intermediate pressure of 135psi like in scuba) the amount of air you can get in a normal breath may be limited.

Lastly, when the pump burns out (when not if), there may be some contaminants and other cr@p you don't want to breath generated and pumped down to you.

Bottom line I see some issues that would make me uncomfortable using one for prolonged periods of time.

i can't see anywhere on it where there is a filter and nothing on the website about filters -- i would not trust my life to it...
if you want a hookah, new or used check out brownies

Kit includes 10m of airhose 10mm and mask , snorkel with valve adapted as airregulator.

I trust my regulator -- this uses a MODIFIED SNORKEL
AS A REGULATOR -- NO THANKS!!!!!!!

The kit I bought came with a Promate regulator. Not wanting to spend $3,000 on a hookah system.

i can't see anywhere on it where there is a filter and nothing on the website about filters -- i would not trust my life to it...
if you want a hookah, new or used check out brownies

Kit includes 10m of airhose 10mm and mask , snorkel with valve adapted as airregulator.

I trust my regulator -- this uses a MODIFIED SNORKEL
AS A REGULATOR -- NO THANKS!!!!!!!

---------- Post added August 26th, 2013 at 04:21 PM ----------

Is there some kind of filter I can add that would keep me from breathing contaminants? Do they make 12v compressors that are inexpensive like a few hundred that would work well? I have the breathable hose, regulator, and this compressor if I could filter the air...

There was a thread about a year ago on the same setup.

It's not designed for breathing air for a diver. It might work because there is no oil and low pressure, but that does not mean there are not other contaminants in the system (pump / hose / modified snorkel). To me it looks like something a kid might brew up in a garage to play in his pool with. It does not look all that comfortable to use and I would question if it would deliver the amount of air needed for a diver dredging or cleaning a hull. Since the air is delivered at ambient or slightly above(not at an intermediate pressure of 135psi like in scuba) the amount of air you can get in a normal breath may be limited.

Lastly, when the pump burns out (when not if), there may be some contaminants and other cr@p you don't want to breath generated and pumped down to you.

Bottom line I see some issues that would make me uncomfortable using one for prolonged periods of time.

---------- Post added August 26th, 2013 at 04:42 PM ----------

i can't see anywhere on it where there is a filter and nothing on the website about filters --

Would a 5 micron particulate filter work for this?

NO, NO, NO, NO, and NO! any filter you could buy to properly filter air for breathing is not going to allow much if any of the air that Rube Goldberg contraption puts out. Or be able to draw it through a pre filter.

And I can't see the link to Tor using it to dredge gold in Norway. Cause he's probably dead. :shocked2:
It also does not say that the reg may not work with that under water. I'd be shocked if you got a full breath underwater at 15 ft with that.

"Also, I emailed them about safety and they said because it is such a low pressure unit I don't have to worry about it being harmful."

And that is just so much horsecrap it's not funny.

Somebody is gonna die using that. Sooner or later but it will happen.:shakehead:

but hey, for the price you get nose clips and ear plugs too.......:turd:

Is there some kind of filter I can add that would keep me from breathing contaminants? Do they make 12v compressors that are inexpensive like a few hundred that would work well? I have the breathable hose, regulator, and this compressor if I could filter the air...

I am not an expert on air compressors. The cost for a good filter stack would exceed the cost of your compressor. The filter will require more pressure to function, something your pump does not have. I suspect your system will be like breathing though a straw. Possible, not not very good.

The real problem is the compressor is undersized, the smallest designed for hookah systems cost 1200 and have a 1/3 hp motor. They pump a intermediate pressure (50-130psi) into the hose and its down regulated to ambient by the 2nd stage (better systems have a surge tank). Thus they can supply you than big gulp of air. The increase in pressure due to water pressure is highly underestimated by non-divers.

What I can't figure out is the almost 100% feedback.....:confused:

.... and, mom always said to say no to cheap hookahs......:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom