Is the Aqualung i450T a good option in 2020?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WI Scuba Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
West Bend, WI (about 30 miles north of Milwaukee)
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I’ve been researching dive computers, and while I would love to get a Teric, I can’t afford it right now, and it’s probably more computer than I really need.

I’m getting back into diving after about a 10 year hiatus. Taking a refresher course in a few weeks. I’ve never owned or even used a dive computer, but really want to go that route, and definitely want air integration. I’ll probably be keeping my SPG as a back up for now. My LDS recommended I get a computer before I take the course.

I am strictly a recreational diver, looking at Wisconsin single tank lakes, quarry, or Lake Michigan wreck dives to around 135 feet. Though I’m looking forward to going to Bonaire later this yearAnd getting into some warm water.

I’ve been reading a lot of reviews and watching a lot of videos on YouTube. I see that Leisure Pro has the i450t on sale for $435. Less than half the price of some of the other Air Integrated dive computer's I’ve been researching. So that seems awesone.

However I am worried about the battery issues I’ve read about with this computer. Have those been pretty much cleared up by now?

Are there other air integrated dive computers in that price range that I should be looking at?

Thanks!!
Dave

I have an i450T purchased about 6 months ago. Works great, easy to read while diving. Have been using this computer for about 20 dives over a 5 month period. Battery in the computer and transmitter both working. A shearwater transmitter works with the i450T and you can find them for about $50 less than the Aqualung transmitter.

I have an i450T purchased about 6 months ago. Works great, easy to read while diving. Have been using this computer for about 20 dives over a 5 month period. Battery in the computer and transmitter both working. A shearwater transmitter works with the i450T and you can find them for about $50 less than the Aqualung transmitter.

Great! Thanks! That’s good to know!!!

Great! Thanks! That’s good to know!!!

Dave...

I think the way things are looking...you have 2020 to decide...what you'll be doing in 2021...

From what we're all reading on SB...and in my opinion...the TERIC...has issues...and for what you're currently doing...and plan to do...you don't need to spend anywhere near that kind of money...

Stick with your SPG...don't worry about a wireless transmitter...and get a mixed gas wrist computer...I like basic deco and deep stop features...features you need/want...are entirely your choice...

Happy Hunting...

W...

Thanks all! Yeah, the way things are looking, it’s kind of grim. Just found out my LDS has canceled my refresher course until the end of May, because there are no pools available for use before then due to our governor‘s orders.

I asked if they had the i450 in stock, and I didn’t realize it actually been discontinued. He told me they were taking pre-orders for the i470, which is the i450s replacement but with Bluetooth and it supposedly fixes the battery issues that some 450s have had. They’re offering the pre-orders at $400 even. I might get in on that deal. I haven’t been able to find much information on the i470 though.

Having had computers with no download capability, or with a cable, or by Bluetooth, I would strongly suggest waiting for Bluetooth. Unless you don't care about downloads....in which case you don't need anything nearly as fancy as the i450, just as you don't NEED AI. It is nice, but not essential. I love AI, hate when I have to dive without it. But, if you REALLY want an i450t, they are on Amazon Prime for $435. But if you can't afford the AI transmitter, what's the point? If you just want a cheap, good computer, no AI, with Bluetooth for downloads, get the Deep Six Excursion.

Having had computers with no download capability, or with a cable, or by Bluetooth, I would strongly suggest waiting for Bluetooth. Unless you don't care about downloads....in which case you don't need anything nearly as fancy as the i450, just as you don't NEED AI. It is nice, but not essential. I love AI, hate when I have to dive without it. But, if you REALLY want an i450t, they are on Amazon Prime for $435. But if you can't afford the AI transmitter, what's the point? If you just want a cheap, good computer, no AI, with Bluetooth for downloads, get the Deep Six Excursion.
And, for $80-85 more, consider the Atmos Mission One, on sale at Divers Supply and DRIS. Color screen, custom GFs in addition to presets, a dive planner, working iOS and android apps and firmware upgrades

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom