Is the DPV considered a "boat"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The key word as I see it is ON THE WATER

dpv's are under not on.

Submarines are absolutely vessels by anyone's definition.

I agree that calling it a "Water Toy" is the best defense.

So it's a long story but I was inquiring about the use of a DPV on a lake that prohibits motorized boats in Oregon. Both a marine deputy and a lawyer friend of mine say that DPVs fall under the Oregon Definition of a "boat."

For reference, here is the applicable state law... (some parts omitted for clarity)

ORS 830.005
Definitions for chapter

As used in this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise:

(2)"Boat" means every description of watercraft, including a seaplane on the water and not in flight, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on the water, but does not include boathouses, floating homes, air mattresses, beach and water toys or single inner tubes.

(3)"Boating offense" means violation of any provision of law that is made a crime or violation under the provisions of this chapter.

(6)"Motorboat" means any boat propelled in whole or in part by machinery, including boats temporarily equipped with detachable motors.

The thing is, if my DPV is considered a boat and/or a motorboat, a whole bunch of Oregon laws apply regarding lighting, invasive species permits, navigation, licensure, fire extinguishers and other safety equipment, etc.

I'm curious if anyone on here is in the Coast Guard and knows how the Coast Guard classifies DPVs. Are they even considered a vessel?

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.
Wait a second.. are you publicly admitting you use a dpv without PFD's and fire extinguishers strapped to it? tsk tsk

Here's an idea. Try to register it as a boat and when it's denied because it has no title, etc. then you will have a great excuse to call it not a boat!

Oregon will actually title it. They will title damn near anything if you’re willing to pay a fee. Problem is that when they issue a HIN (hull identification number) I have to place it above the waterline. But then I’ll be required to carry an anchor, a non-inflatable PFD, a throw cushion, and a fire extinguisher. If I want to operate at night I’ll need lights that can be seen for three miles. I’ll also have to display a diver down flag from the boat while diving. By law I’ll be required to carry the registration and an invasive species permit on board and place a series of 3 inch registration numbers on the hull that isn’t even big enough for them them. There’s even a law that makes it illegal to tow myself without a spotter.

Back
Top Bottom