Is the Great Barrier reef still worth diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VinnieSL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
I am planning a trip to New Zealand /Australia in March 2020 and want to know if it is still worth it to dive the Great Barrier reef?

I haven't dove there in 10 years so have no first hand opinions at this point, or any idea how the various coral bleaching events affect diving in different areas. If you research it I'd expect to find stuff that's all over the place. (Probably why you're asking...)

I will say that you're talking about a huge area when you say GBR, and your experience is going to depend greatly on exactly where you go. There's a big difference between a week long liveaboard to more remote areas, or maybe a day trip to the Yongala if you get up that way - vs a day trip or couple night liveaboard at what they call the "outer reef", which sounds remote but isn't (relatively speaking) and is heavily dove from Cairns.

There is also diving in New Zealand, never been. Water generally colder though. Poor Knights is famous.

How long are you going for and how far out of your way are you willing to go for diving?

Yes, you just need to be selective about where you go. The more southerly reefs (i.e., around Townsville) had less bleaching, but many corals that looked bleached owing to Crown of Thorns. Also reefs that fringe deeper water (more outer reefs) have more colder water potentially upwelling.

I was in the outer GBR around Lizard Island, Cod Hole (Coral Sea), off Cairns, in November 2016. There were lots of bleaching & rubbles. Sad!

If you want to travel half around the world to go diving, you might as well go to the best destination in the world, Indonesia. Go to places like Raja Ampat, Banda Sea or Komodo.

If you are there anyway and care to take a boat that goes a bit further then yes. Still great dives to be had, but I never felt that it stood out from other tropical reefs around the world as seen through the mask.

Is it just me or a bit oxymoronic to be worried about the condition of the GBR when the means to get there is what we're told is the cause of the negative condition.

No offense Vinnie. :wink: It just reads odd to me.

Of course I've long said us divers are the worst offenders when it comes to carbon emissions.

If you are there anyway and care to take a boat that goes a bit further then yes. Still great dives to be had, but I never felt that it stood out from other tropical reefs around the world as seen through the mask.
I always recall an Undercurrent article that referred to the "Pretty Good Barrier Reef." That was long ago, but the point was even then, that "Great" meant "Large" and wasn't about the diving one way or another.

Welcome to SB!

You'll see more aquatic life diving the SS Yongalla than what you will see on any day trip. (Yongala Dive is who I always dive with). I've not/won't do a day trip/short o/n(s) trip but I'm also still considering a longer LOB, however after chatting with @Dan and as per his message above my expectations are low and my 'value for $' are also set low. I still think I want to go, but ...

... trying to find the best (least worst) LoB trip in terms of diving quality. Anyone recently done multiple LoBs?

Poor Knights in NZ is amazing. I've not done it in a long while, but I doubt it's changed much. Tutukaka is a nice coastal town, and Bay of Islands is a must do. Jumping on a fishing charter for a day out of Russell is good, and if you stay at the Duke of Marlborough they'll cook it for you for free (you just pay some charge for other items on the plate ~=1/2 a main's price) <-- this was last time there 5 year's back ...

Yongala is a nice dive IF the weather cooperates. The site is exposed and there is a current so boats can't always get out there. There are numerous buoys and a line running the length of the wreck so if the current is too strong there are plenty of places to hang on as YOU CAN'T TOUCH THE WRECK. Often big eagle rays there, always sea snakes, sometimes humpback whales will go over. Hopefully you will be able to go to other parts of the reef than Lodestone Reef. Lodestone is nice enough but it has been heavily impacted by CoT (Crown of Thorns starfish) and is shallow (this is where they take their day trips so need to be accessible to intro to diving and snorkelers.

Finally, I hope it goes. The one I was scheduled to go out on was cancelled owing to lack of people - shouldn't be a problem that time of year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom