Is the weather really that bad in the Gulf of Thailand in December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silent running

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all, just wondering if the Lonely Planet guide is correct about the wind/weather conditions in the gulf in Dec. being the worst of the year. Anybody had a different experience? What is the earliest it might calm down, January? Thanks, -Andy

it is / not me / early April (maybe late March)

That would be about right, but just like the SW monsoon season on the Andaman coast, you will still get plenty of good weather at that time, just don't count on it. Both sides generally very calm March/April before the SW monsoon kicks in again.

I've been in Koh Tao in January and the weather was fine.

The weather is never absolute. I wouldn't let weather stats dictate your travel plans.

Hi there. If you go down south then it can be a bit off season. Come to Pattaya and the weather is great. Its the best visability but the water temp drops to 27 degrees!! Bit chilly as now its 31 degrees. Ok it might not be sunny now but who cares!!!
Matty
www.personal-scuba.com

Tao has the best vis, best sea state for the whole year. The worst part of the year is often better than the best part on the other side or up in Pattaya.

OTOH, a rainy day in Thailand has to be better than a good day at home..

The worst part of the year is often better than the best part on the other side or up in Pattaya.
The weather is unpredictable, so you could be lucky in December.
But Mark, this is nonsens.

Steven, perhaps I should have worded it that the season is generally longer on Koh Tao than anywhere else.

OTOH I only spent five years there so I could be wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom