Is there a compatible basic Inflator option for the SS1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marktan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have and love the SS1 integrated octo/inflator and have it installed on my SMS75 sidemount rig. I use the BC with a single back mounted tank when traveling, and love the SS1 when configured this way. When I sidemount, I find the SS1 is a bit clunky strpped across my chest, and also not necessary for redundant air supply (a basic inflator would be ideal).

Is there a basic inflator head that I can use that is compatible if I remove the SS1 head, and can screw onto the corrugated 1" (garden hose) attachment AND compatible with the SS1's (increased pressure) LP inflator hose?
I saw Zeagle made an inflator head that fits the 1" part, but the LP hose was definitely not interchangeable.

Thanks!

I have and love the SS1 integrated octo/inflator and have it installed on my SMS75 sidemount rig. I use the BC with a single back mounted tank when traveling, and love the SS1 when configured this way. When I sidemount, I find the SS1 is a bit clunky strpped across my chest, and also not necessary for redundant air supply (a basic inflator would be ideal).

Is there a basic inflator head that I can use that is compatible if I remove the SS1 head, and can screw onto the corrugated 1" (garden hose) attachment AND compatible with the SS1's (increased pressure) LP inflator hose?
I saw Zeagle made an inflator head that fits the 1" part, but the LP hose was definitely not interchangeable.

Thanks!
Change the lpi hose to a standard inflator hose

Change the lpi hose to a standard inflator hose

Yes, that would work, but ideally I'd like (if possible) the convenience of just attaching the appropriate head (SS1 or Inflator), rather than messing with taking the hoses on and off the 1st stage.

In a nut shell no. The basic inflator uses a std quick disconnect Schrader fitting. So you need to change out the hose and or female fitting. The fitting can be changed out as it uses the same thread size/pattern as the LP hose for a regulator.

For instance, this adapter fits the SS1:
XS Scuba ScubaPro QD Adapter | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

This adapter fits the std. inflator.
XS Scuba EZ QD Adapter | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

As for the corrugated hose that is pretty easy to match up a std. inflator and the SS1.

I've seen (and have) an adapter that changes the ScubaPro Air2 hose end to a standard qd, and would think the same is available for your brand. That would seem to fit your needs......

wonderful little device for a "save a dive" kit....

Last edited:
Amazon.com : New Scuba Diving BCD Adapter with Standard Female Plug and Male Plug for ScubaPro A.I.R. 2, TUSA Duo-Air, & the Atomic Aquatics SS/FBM : Diving Regulator Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

upload_2017-2-15_9-53-48.png

I've seen (and have) an adapter that changes the ScubaPro Air2 hose end to a standard qd, and would think the same is available for your brand. That would seem to fit your needs......

I saw this at the LDS, but the tech cautioned that the standard inflator head can't properly support the increased pressure that the air2/SS1 LP hose provides (450 vs 250 psi if memory serves).
I'm thinking the overall answer is a resounding NO for just simple interchangability of the heads on the same hose. Thanks!

Um...... please show me that the IP of an SS1 is 450 psi..... I'm not sure there even exists a first stage for scuba that could supply an IP 450 psi.... Somebody is either misunderstood or full of poo... Standard IP at a second stage is 125-150.....

Your other second stages would not work (essentially violently free flow) at such an IP.....

Now, I do agree the standard QD cannot support a flow rate necessary to run a second stage for breathing purposes, but inflating a BC/wing is what they are intended to do...

Um...... please show me that the IP of an SS1 is 450 psi..... I'm not sure there even exists a first stage for scuba that could supply an IP 450 psi.... Somebody is either misunderstood or full of poo...

Your other second stages would not work (essentially violently free flow) at such an IP.....

Now, I do agree the standard QD cannot support a flow rate necessary to run a second stage for breathing purposes, but inflating a BC/wing is what they are intended to do...

This gives me hope then. I think perhaps thats what they were referring to - not being able to breathe on standard QD. They pointed to the hose's max psi markings and increased diameter for the SS1 LP vs the standard.

Back
Top Bottom