Suggestion Is there a forum for Dive Shop Owners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
D

divepa

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a place for dive shop owners to post? Does anyone else think that is a good suggestion?

Divepa

Jack Cummins:
Speaking of monopolies, etc., as a manufacturer, one of the first topics I would broach on the new site would be a discussion of OEM's ability to get Dive Shops to sign agreements to only market/sell their (overpriced :m16: ) products. How did this travesty of freedom of commerce come about? Seems to me an OEM needs to do this only if he's afraid his product can't stand up to some new competition.

Unfortunately this practice is common in several industries. It is especially frequent when a product is a very good seller.

From my viewpoint, mfg and dealers don't set out to restrain trade, but it often ends up that way. There was a sarcastic post about price fixing. Well, that is exactly what industries do If they are permitted. The dive industry is no exception.

On the other hand I've yet to meet anyone in any manufacturing industry who doesn't dream about a monopoly. That "killer ap", or its' equvalent that will put them on easy street. After all that's what patents and such are for.

My interest in all this? Well I just found this Board. I enjoy it and don't want it messed up. If they choose to have a Manufacturer's Forum I just want them to be sure to make a profit on it and structure it so they don't get caught up in a problem that adversely affects the Board.

My question to the owners though is: With all the other forums available is this really a service to the consumer?

ArcticDiver:
My question to the owners though is: With all the other forums available is this really a service to the consumer?

First off there are no other forums like this currently available anywhere for shop owners to share ideas. I also don't care if it gets created here or somewhere else but it is going to happen with the ease of technology today.

I would like to see it here however as it is only a few steps away so to speak from the customers we service and that will provide some grounding in reality ( I learn stuff here everyday about what divers like and don't like at least around here) - It also could generate a bit of income for the board owner which is fine by me

The consumer from what I read on this board everyday is not thrilled with the level of service they are recieving at every shop that is out there (brick and morter or virtual), so shop owners coming up with more professional ideas and marketing plans can only make things better.

Yes it could lead to bad initiatives but it could also lead to greatness.

Again - don't say why - Say why not.

Dive Source, it's already in the works and already on the board based on your ideas and the ideas of others! We're just working to put together a system to make the area secure but not overly burderning to join.

This Forums Mission Statement and sticky post. Subject to your tweaks.

Welcome to our private B2B Forum for Scuba Shops, OEMs, Travel Agents, Boat Operators, Hotel/Resort Operators, and everyone else engaged in the Scuba business. This is the place to network, share tips, ask questions, and discuss issues germain to the Scuba business. We suggest that you create a compliant signature to identify yourself and your business.

This Forum requires a special approval procedure to view and post. Regular members of SB and visitors can not view or post in this Forum. Happy networking!

:)

divepa:
I am currently working on this idea. After posting this idea to the board about a week ago this idea really took off. I have registered scubashops.net and am currently working on this project. I will show you the "beta" once I get further in the project. I plan on having this running in the next week and a half.

DivePA

I'm confused...

Are the things that Tech Admin, Divepa, and Steve S describe as being in the works one in the the same?

No!

Myself and TA are discussing a B2B Forum which is part of SB. NOT part of any other site/domain. The URL starts with www.scubaboard.com :) It will launch soon according to TA.

Member divepa aka Mike Miller as per the whois has decided to create his own site/Community from a zero base dedicated to the B2B focus. His URL will start with www.scubashops . net This site will have no direct and or indirect affiliation with SB. Good luck.

Respectfully Mike, why not contact an admin or mod before you post stuff about your own competing site on this Forum. I'm not inferring its not OK or that it is OK, rather it just seems like the appropriate thing to do. :) Natch, inside your compliant sig would work for me and is a given.

Tech Admin:
Dive Source, it's already in the works and already on the board based on your ideas and the ideas of others! We're just working to put together a system to make the area secure but not overly burderning to join.

No problem - I just was just having a friendly debate with Arctic diver.

I think SB is a great place to host it.

Steve_S:
No!

Myself and TA are discussing a B2B Forum which is part of SB. NOT part of any other site/domain. The URL starts with www.scubaboard.com :) It will launch soon according to TA.

Member divepa aka Mike Miller as per the whois has decided to create his own site/Community from a zero base dedicated to the B2B focus. His URL will start with www.scubashops . net This site will have no direct and or indirect affiliation with SB. Good luck.

Respectfully Mike, why not contact an admin or mod before you post stuff about your own competing site on this Forum. I'm not inferring its not OK or that it is OK, rather it just seems like the appropriate thing to do. :) Natch, inside your compliant sig would work for me and is a given.

After speaking with Mike at length his intentions are honourable and not about competing. His enthusiasm is amazing and that is what you are seeing nothing more.

Scuba Board is a great place and I continue to frequent it often.

I am closing this thread as we are moving on to the actual launch of thee forums. Please see my related post in the suggestions forum if you have any additional ideas.

Hello...

Dive Source is right. I am not doing this to compete. I saw a great need for this so I decided to implement things. I am a person who likes to get things done. I also will continue to use ScubaBoard, but I will mainly be focusing on my site also.

Tech Admin:
I am closing this thread as we are moving on to the actual launch of thee forums. Please see my related post in the suggestions forum if you have any additional ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom