Is there a good place to take Rescue in warmer water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DukeAMO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'd like to take Rescue, but the thought of spending a weekend shore diving in the cold Northern California ocean water *really* does not appeal to me. Sorry, I know everyone probably hates me now! I'm just a sissy about the cold water, and not a fan of the entries/exits in surf. Also, I'm quite buoyant, and I have to wear so much lead with a thick wetsuit, that it makes everything a pain. Ugh.

Does anyone know of a good shop/instructor that teaches Rescue in a warmer lake or something, not too far from Sacramento? I'm even OK with water temps in the upper 50s or 60s as long as it's nice and toasty on the surface.

I'd prefer a PADI cert, because I might as well get the shiny Master Scuba Diver rating for my trouble. Rescue is the last class I need for that.

I would consider something farther out of town (Tahoe, LA, etc.), but the timing would have to work out just right for me to combine it with a family trip to the area.

You might want to rethink about it being "nice and toasty on the surface". There are a lot of skills at the surface and could roast you making it very difficult. I think I was very lucky to do my class in overcast mild temps. But that is just my 2 psi.

Stay wet my friends.

In San Louis Obispo we've been getting upper 50's and I'm sure it can't be too much colder in Monterey. not sure how much warmer you expect it to be? Check Tahoe they have a few dive operations in Reno that dive that lake regularly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ventura dive and sport can do it. Water temps in the summer can be toasty... I find them to be good people.

Ventura Dive & Sport: Rescue Diver Course Details

hope this helps...

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2014 at 06:01 PM ----------

Well... Toasty compared to Lobos at 47 deg, and the channels islands at 65. Still need a good suit.
Also, consider what Akimbo has said...

You need to learn rescue in the conditions you normally dive. There are dozens of subtle techniques that are different, let alone learning to deal with equipment burdens… unless this is just a check-off for a merit badge.

Right. I like to dive in warm ocean water off of a boat, easy shore dives, lakes/quarries, the Florida Springs, or aquariums. Cold water with surf entries is not my cup of tea. My least-favorite dive was one with 55 degree water, and my second least favorite was one with 3-foot waves that made it very difficult to get in and out. I'm just a temporary California resident, so I'm OK with missing out on the local coastal diving for now.

I want to take Rescue to be a better diver. I don't want to be so task-loaded dealing with the unfamiliar coastal environment that I'm not getting the full advantage of the Rescue class. I want to take it in an environment similar to what I plan to dive in, and what I have experience with already.

Last edited:
Check in to Dolphin Scuba in Sacramento on El Camino. I have assisted in many rescue classes with them, some in Monterey but others in Folsom lake.

Last edited:
I wear a 5mil in 85 degree tropical water and still get a little cold after repetitive dives. I did the rescue course out of a LDS in Modesto and we did it at a local lake in April. I was wearing a 7mil and by the time I was done with all the skills I was pretty toasty. Lots of heavy lifting and moving around. Lots of local lakes between Sac and Modesto!

Back
Top Bottom