Is there a hyperbaric chamber in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes (in Suva), but...Last I heard it was non-operational because of long-term maintenance.

Assume you would probably be flown to Australia if the proverbial hit the fan. Make sure you have DAN insurance.

Yes (in Suva), but...Last I heard it was non-operational because of long-term maintenance.

Assume you would probably be flown to Australia if the proverbial hit the fan. Make sure you have DAN insurance.
Auckland is 5 hours closer

Brisbane-Nadi = 3 h 30 m
Auckland-Nadi = 2 h 55 m

DAN are the best people to make the call. You don't know if any given chamber is operational, in use or otherwise unavailable. There is a chamber in Vanuatu as well. There might also be commercial or military pots in the area on ships....
So, like the man said. Get DAN cover, regardless of the availability of the Fiji chamber - which should be back running later this year.

I just returned from Taveuni and the dive op said the chamber is down and that they will fly you to Australia.

Vanuatu just experienced earthquake, did she not?

We are expecting the chamber to be back up and running here in Fiji later this year. But then again....Fiji time.....

I read this article in the Fiji Sun back in August, saying the chamber would re-open in late 2018: FHTA Update On The Decompression Chamber Requirement For Divers | Fiji Sun

My wife and I are headed to Fiji in November, so I emailed the woman they quoted in the article (head of the Fiji Hotel & Tourism Assoc.) to see if she had an updated timeline, and on 9/30/18 she said: "The chamber has been confirmed by the Ministry of Health & Medical Services as being prepared for installation by November this year with plans for its commissioning due by Jan 2019."

So sounds like Jan 2019, but don't hold your breath (always good advice, right? :wink:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom