Is there an underwater Indian village at Grand Lake in Grove, Oklahoma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justin-branam

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have the opportunity to do an extra project to recieve honors credit for my college history class. my brother lives in norman and told me he heard of an old indian village somewhere in oklahoma, that they flooded to build a dam. i called a dive shop in norman and the guy said the only one he heard of was at grand lake in grove, oklahoma. I cant seem to find any info on it, so im wondering if this is true or not, because i would like to base my project on this by taking a few pictures and describing what is shown in them. any help would be highly appretiated in locating this supposed underwater indian village!

I don't know anything about this site, but I wouldn't expect to find anything. You may come across alot of people who knows someone who knows someone else who says they know where it's at. Take for example the legend of the under water town of Oasis at Table Rock. No one has actually been there, yet it was written up in a dive magazine as an active Missouri dive site.

SteveC:
Take for example the legend of the under water town of Oasis at Table Rock. No one has actually been there, yet it was written up in a dive magazine as an active Missouri dive site.

Actually it wasn't written up in that manner, although it did say you could dive down there and see things.

To be honest, I've done a LOT of research on it and I know without a doubt exactly where it was, however having seen sidescan images from that area I'm convinced that the town does not exist. I suspect the article that was written is not based in reality, and my efforts to contact the author were not successful. I did get in touch with the editor of the magazine and all they would do is get me a copy, which I didn't need since I read it already and that's why I wanted to get in touch with the author.

However, in order to stay somewhat on topic of the Indian legend I'd say it's false. First consider when the lake was built, what chances were there of actual Indian villages existing at that time. Consider that we drove most of them to reservations well before that time. Now consider what would have been there in an Indian village, would it survive being underwater for all these years?

No, it could not survive.

Having seen and found several Indian sites above ground and how hard it was/is to locate them there, underwater would be almost 100% impossible because any clues would have vanished long ago. It's not like our Indians here made things designed to last forever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom