Is there anyone still diving in the NoVA area this late in the season?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've recently completed my Open Water and my Dry Suit cert, and I would like to continue diving. I discovered, however, that no one at the local dive shops still dives this late in the season. I'm wondering if anyone might be interested in hanging out with a newbie and showing me some of the local sights. I hear Lake Phoenix is incredible. Basically, I'm just looking for people to dive with.

Thanks!

I'm not into drysuits, or cold water, or else I would join you! The folks up at Hyde's Quarry are pretty cool with finding dive buddies for singlets. Give them a call and see what they can do.

We're opening Hyde's "by appointment" over the winter - several of us have keys so we can usually make it work. I'm also very close to there, and might be able to be talked into some winter diving now and then assuming that my honey-do backlog isn't too bad. This Saturday might even work if you're interested.

Note that right now shop hours (Undersea Outfitters) are hit or miss -- Laird's been out recovering from surgery. He and I both get any messages sent via the Hyde's Quarry Contact Us page though. PM's here also should work, and also the Hyde's facebook page. If I get word that the gates are opening for anyone else, I try and post it on the Quarry FB page and web site.

Hello Michael,

I will be diving Millbrook and Pheonix this winter. I have a few more buddies on this forum who will show up in a bit. Yes it would be a pleasure to have you with us mate.

i'm up for winter diving, but like you i find it incredibly difficult to find people to commit. it's hard enough in the summertime, and it's much harder to find dive buddies in the winter. i'm up for diving year round at lake phoenix. drop me a pm or post here if you want to plan a weekend.

I was planning on getting my OW certification this past summer/fall, between work and family stuff never got a chance until late November. Shop said they would still do it if I was willing to in the cold (this would be with a 7 mm - too cold?). Having only dived in the Caribbean before I was hesitant to do any training in water I may not be comfortable in so am holding off until early spring.

Good to see that locally people are still diving year round, eventually I would like to learn to dive dry.

what I've heard is that the water temp continues to drop until about april. so it should still be relatively warm right now. my wife and I did our open water portion at the lake in march and water temp was in the 40s by then.

anyone want to dive there new years weekend, friday 12/30? for dec, their diver pricing is $18.82 per day all month long.

edit: they are closed new years eve, 12/31, but open new years day, 1/1.

Last edited:
Huh, never knew that. Had I known that I likely would have just gone ahead and done the Certification. Oh well, spring will be here soon enough, I've already planned some time aside to get certified. Ironically its in March so the water may end up colder than the water I initially wanted to avoid...

If I get another drysuit I'd be game to try it. I find both Rawlings and Millbrook pretty cold deep in the summer :) But would be interested in trying to do a winter dive (once I get a drysuit again.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom