Is there anyway to be involved/support the diving community without actually diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m open to all kinds of suggestions that you all may have for me, even if it’s of the “F off” variety :wink:

Want to watch my four crazy kids so my wife and I can go diving? :rofl3: In all honesty, some of the dives we have done with different dive shops had support members that stayed on land watching the gear, helping gear setup, and so on. While I think a lot of those people were spouses of those diving, I don't see why you couldn't help in that way. For instance, my wife and I often leave a canopy with cooler, grill, and chairs setup on land while we go diving. It would be nice to have nondiving friends to man the fort per se. If you come north in the winter months, I am sure you could tend a line for ice diving :coffee:.

A really good rope tender is much appreciated in search and recovery diving.
It's a skill much more subtle than one-two-three pulls.

@PaulAllen some organisations like maritime archeology need non diving support (or ghost fishing) that could be something interesting as a hobby

By the way if your problem is asthma, you may be able to dive after a medical with a hyperbaric doctor: it depends if asthma is exercise induced

The obvious thing would be to operate a boat. If you were to take divers on your private boat, you'd have to be insured if you took any kind of payment (even in beer, etc.). I don't know all the legalities, you'd have to look into it. You may also need a boat capts. license. Or, you could volunteer to go along on a diver's boat and "man the boat" while the diver (and possibly a dive buddy) were diving. Leaving an untended boat to dive is a big no-no.
You could work retail part time in a local dive shop.

@PaulAllen some organisations like maritime archeology need non diving support (or ghost fishing) that could be something interesting as a hobby

By the way if your problem is asthma, you may be able to dive after a medical with a hyperbaric doctor: it depends if asthma is exercise induced
Why would you restart this 2.5 year old thread? The OP hasn't even visited the forum since he posted on June 17, 2020.

This isn't a rhetorical question. I'm genuinely curious why people do this. I understand if they have the same question and want clarification of something already answered, but not for something like this.

You might look oraganizations like handicap scuba association and see what help they might need. Chance to make a real impact.

Why would you restart this 2.5 year old thread? The OP hasn't even visited the forum since he posted on June 17, 2020.

This isn't a rhetorical question. I'm genuinely curious why people do this. I understand if they have the same question and want clarification of something already answered, but not for something like this.
I didn’t see the date, maybe you could suggest the board to have that tickbox to prevent resurrecting threads?

I think the board had this at some point.

Perhaps a "Last reply was over 1-year ago, are you sure you want to resurrect this thread?"

Perhaps a "Last reply was over 1-year ago, are you sure you want to resurrect this thread?"

Feel free to continue the discussion here: 😂

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom