Is there anyway to validate old hoses as safe for use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rusty Shackleford

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a bunch I seem to have accumulated.

I have purchased some MK-10's 108's, 109's and some Bal Adjustables.

I want to know if there is anyways I can tell if some of these old hoses are still safe to use or should I just trash them when in doubt?

No.. I put a high pressure hose on a regulator set that looked fine. No leaks or bulge.. looked great.. 3 days later it blew at the crimp and you could see the inner core was rotten.. After that... Throw the old ones away and just use new ones.. it broke my heart throwing them away..

Jim..

I've had hoses in service for 30+ years which worked just fine. Some had untold number of pool classes and saltwater dives on them; others have not been as robust. On the other hand, I've also seen near new hoses fail after very little use (usually a bad crimp.) Do a thorough job of inspecting each hose you have and add a hp and lp hose to your save-a-dive kit, or better yet, travel with an extra regulator set.

Having said that, I would be interested in reading a definitive hose inspection and test method should someone discover it.

Would their be any kind of NDT test procedure? Like setting up a 1st stage tuned 50% over pressure and burst test it?

I wonder if there is any industry guidance?

Would their be any kind of NDT test procedure? Like setting up a 1st stage tuned 50% over pressure and burst test it?

If you over pressure the hose it may burst a bad one, but it might shorten the life of another one. I will use any hose that looks good, however I have the new(er) hoses on the regs sets that I push the envelope with. You have to draw your own line.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom