Is this an over-reaction/what would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe OT, but I feel this shows the problem in how open water is often poorly taught. A certified diver should (and yes, should is a dangerous word) be comfortable with returning by themselves to the surface, especially in tropical conditions.

you did the right thing. i had a similar situation where a group of us went diving and one of the group had passed his OW the week before in a drysuit in a lake and had never dived open ocean with a wetsuit so was all a bit alien to him, his buddy (also his flat mate) wanted to be his buddy so we all agreed and unfortunately he was more interested in wandering off and looking at his camera than checking his buddy was ok though doing things most of us do as new divers i.e being verticle, kicking too much and spaffing his air too quickly. we kept an eye on him and i checked he was ok regularly and let him know we were there. after the dive he came to me and asked for advice and made a comment about not being confident or trusting his buddy to help him so i stepped in and offered to be his buddy for the rest of the week as he felt more comfortable with me and he got progressively more confident and improved as the week went on. a calming presence does wonders when you are not feeling comfortable in your environment

i don't know if yours was just a day thing or a few days like my situation but in that situation i would offer to be her buddy for the following dives as:
A - she felt comforted and safer with you
B - her current buddy was not looking out for her
C - it might just give her the confidence to keep diving, its always sad when i hear of people who give up after a bad experience, 1 good dive can help people carry on just as much as 1 bad one can shake their confidence

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom