• Welcome to ScubaBoard


  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Princeton Tec' started by kmurray719, Oct 16, 2011.

  1. kmurray719

    kmurray719 Barracuda

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Boston, Ma
    444
    178
    43
    I have a Torrent Xenon that I purchased about 2 months ago. Recently it has been going through batteries very quickly. The last two times I have opened the light to change the batteries (within 2 weeks of each other) there has been moisture on the inside of the light and the batteries. Could this be why the batteries are dying quickly (exposed to salt water) and could this be an o-ring problem? It has a switch so there is no twisting of the light in the water that would open it to any water.
     
  2. Bhtmec2

    Bhtmec2 Solo Diver

    # of Dives: 500 - 999
    Location: Puerto Rico
    493
    120
    0
    Here is what I do after having one get ruined.

    1st - open the light and store it without any battery's in. You can put some desiccant in it to remove any moisture if you want.

    2nd - Check the O Ring's and make sure you have no sand grains any where in the O-Ring slots or threads when you screw the cap on.

    3rd - Use a silicon grease to lubricate the O - Ring This will keep water from passing and compromising the inner workings....

    It normally boils down to Pre and Post Dive maintenance. You should never store any light with its battery's installed and the light sealed as they may leak and damage your light or you may have some moisture and this will slowly damage the battery's and electrical parts....

    If I use the light (Turn on) then I use new battery's for the next dive. I do not want the light to fail when down. If you are just diving with it just incase and never use it always do Post maintenance and remove the battery's until the next dive. Your new dry battery's should not run down quickly. Make sure you use Top quality battery's not the cheapest ones you can find. Treat our light like all other equipment and they will keep you safe.

    Just my 2 cents.... Hope it helps.
     

Share This Page