Is this wetsuit good for me? O'Neill Heat 3Q-Zip 4/3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J322Y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Lavacore 2mm equivalent skin which I like, but I want something warmer for Florida springs (72ºF/22ºC). I get about 20 minutes in the springs with the Lavacore before I start shivering. I have very little body fat.

What do you all think about the O'Neill Heat 3Q-Zip 4/3 FSW Men's Full Wetsuit?

I can pick one up locally for $290 plus tax.

Thanks!

One of my all-time favorite suits. Really warm due to the fleece inside & taped seams. It's a surf suit, not dive, so expect a little compression at depth, but not a biggie for the 70's.

I have a Lavacore 2mm equivalent skin which I like, but I want something warmer for Florida springs (72ºF/22ºC). I get about 20 minutes in the springs with the Lavacore before I start shivering. I have very little body fat.

What do you all think about the O'Neill Heat 3Q-Zip 4/3 FSW Men's Full Wetsuit?

I can pick one up locally for $290 plus tax.

Thanks!

I have that suit. I used Aquaseal to make a faux-smooth skin seal at the wrists to reduce water movement. The suit was fine for me in Playa Aventuras MX in June (80~83F surface) for 70+' dives with an AL80. However, in Cozumel in Dec/Feb (78~81F at the surface), with longer dives on a steel HP100 tank, it was not enough exposure protection -- I was uncomfortably cold by 35~40min. I did 2 cenote dives in that suit, and was cold immediately on entering the water.

I've switched to a 5mm and heated shirt, and I'm a much happier camper.

Temperature response is high subjective, and you might be OK....who knows. I've been on dives where I'm in a 5mm+heated shirt and other people in the group are wearing similar gear, and some folks are wearing just board shorts -- and everyone was comfortable. I question whether anyone else's experience with temperature is worth the cost of the electrons that are being shot out of your monitor (or tablet, or phone) and into your eyes right now.

My other observation is about the quality of the wetsuit -- with fewer than 75 dives the stitching was tearing at the right knee -- that's from doffing/donning the suit, with zero time kneeling on the bottom, there's a fair amount of pilling where the velcro neck closure has grabbed the surface material, and the suit seems to be showing distinct compression.

Personally, I'd consider it for over 80 degrees and under $150.

Thanks for the comments.

I was comfy at BHB last night in my Lavacore skins with water in the low 80's. Not even chilly after 70 minutes in the water. I also wore 2mm full hood and gloves. It's not likely I'll dive much in water under 70º.

Also, I don't mind being a little chilly as long as I don't reach the point where I start shaking...

What if I spend a bit more to get a Bare 3MM Reactive? This would be to cover my year round needs in Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom