Is training needed for an OW diver to switch to necklaced secondary and primary donate?

What is needed for an OW diver to switch to necklaced secondary primary donate?

• Reading, advice, videos, practice

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • Informal in person mentoring

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Tuneup by any instructor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tuneup by instructor who dives that way

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Doubles/DIR class

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • That is bad, so you shouldn't anyway

• Not informed on teaching needs, but want to vote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never met anyone who needed a class to learn to clip bolt snaps to your shoulder D-rings, but I guess they are out there.

That reminds me of my Fundies class, where I was first introduced to the bolt snap on the long hose. The instructor, seeing how I fumbled with the thing the first couple of days, gave me a "practice bolt snap"--a bolt snap attached to a piece of hose--and told me to practice clipping and unclipping it while wearing my backplate/harness, perhaps sitting in front of the TV that night. I did, and the next day I was pretty much good to go. Was that necessary? No. Was it helpful? Hell yes.

Unable to vote since only choice is allowed. One, two, and six work just fine; for the thinking diver who understands the concepts tends to do fine with one and two, where as the person who wants the teaching does well with six.

Although I am advocate of the bp/w and long hose configuration, it isn't for everyone. There are some people out there who, for what ever reason, simply cannot grasp the concept, especially if they know someone who doesn't use it or have watched videos with the jacket style configuration.

When I learned to dive 50 years ago, there was only one regulator, which we practiced donating (buddy breathing) many, many times until we had it down cold. When I got back into diving 25 years ago, one of the things I had to learn about was the use of an alternate air source (octopus, safe 2nd, etc.). When I became a GUE diver 20 years ago, I learned to donate the regulator I was breathing, which was very easy for me, since I was trained that way in the beginning. If you were trained to donate an alternate 2nd stage in your original classes, I would strongly recommend that, at the very least, you practice donating your primary regulator with a buddy in a pool until you both feel very comfortable with this procedure before you try it in open water, and then in only the most benign conditions. I would also recommend working with an instructor if at all possible. I'm sure there are some very good instructors in the bay area. Good luck and be safe.

It is possible to use a long hose with a snorkel if you practice that way and remember it is there.

I learned how to work around the snorkel ok, however in an emergency I won't be the only person involved. I've been mugged from behind before and the evolution was not calm, I'm good without a reg for a while, but add to that a mask and i don't believe it would be a good day.

I have since switched to a 40" hose for most dives, but still use primary donate.

I use one as well, but most of my diving has been primary donate. I started with buddy breathing, did a stint with the rec setup, used an Air2 clone for a while before trying the long hose.

That reminds me of my Fundies class, where I was first introduced to the bolt snap on the long hose. The instructor, seeing how I fumbled with the thing the first couple of days, gave me a "practice bolt snap"--a bolt snap attached to a piece of hose--and told me to practice clipping and unclipping it while wearing my backplate/harness, perhaps sitting in front of the TV that night. I did, and the next day I was pretty much good to go. Was that necessary? No. Was it helpful? Hell yes.

I would have suggested the same thing, but you would have had to attached your own Boltsnap to the hose. The big difference is that you probably wouldn't have listened to a random knucklehead like me. And I disagree, the repetition is necessary, getting it while watching tv avoids the task loading of learning it while trying to learn other skills.

Bob

What *training* is needed for an OW diver to switch to necklaced secondary and primary donate? The equipment needed is fairly simple.
I didn't see this thread in time to 'vote'. It is a good question to ask.

In a time when there are YouTube videos that cover almost everything (except complicated neurosurgical procedures as far as I can tell), it is hard to suggest that formal 'live' training is necessary. I originally learned by doing - bought a long hose, bought a bungee necklace, tried a couple of different alternate second stage short hose lengths to find the right one for me, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I (still) don't think a class is required. But, I think a business-smart shop would want to provide advice when asked - it helps the customer, opens the opportunity for gear sales, and even promotes future formal training. Of course, that would presume that the shop and staff actually have experience with the configuration, believe in primary active donation, and endorse the approach for recreational diving. As an Instructor, i am always happy to help divers considering a switch to what I consider to be the best configuration.

A question / comment, after watching AG's video: I realize that he is dressed in (thin) street clothes, which may make a slight difference, compared to what he would look like in a 3 or 5mm wetsuit. But, I prefer, recommend, and teach the use of a shorter bungee, so that my alternate is directly under my chin, almost close enough to allow me to move my chin down and grab the alternate with my mouth. AG's bungee is, for me, WAY too long. So, I am now curious - in what position do others dive a bungeed alternate? Mid-chest, like AG, or closer to the chin (shorter bungee)?

I didn't see this thread in time to 'vote'. It is a good question to ask.

In a time when there are YouTube videos that cover almost everything (except complicated neurosurgical procedures as far as I can tell), it is hard to suggest that formal 'live' training is necessary. I originally learned by doing - bought a long hose, bought a bungee necklace, tried a couple of different alternate second stage short hose lengths to find the right one for me, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I (still) don't think a class is required. But, I think a business-smart shop would want to provide advice when asked - it helps the customer, opens the opportunity for gear sales, and even promotes future formal training. Of course, that would presume that the shop and staff actually have experience with the configuration, believe in primary active donation, and endorse the approach for recreational diving. As an Instructor, i am always happy to help divers considering a switch to what I consider to be the best configuration.

A question / comment, after watching AG's video: I realize that he is dressed in (thin) street clothes, which may make a slight difference, compared to what he would look like in a 3 or 5mm wetsuit. But, I prefer, recommend, and teach the use of a shorter bungee, so that my alternate is directly under my chin, almost close enough to allow me to move my chin down and grab the alternate with my mouth. AG's bungee is, for me, WAY too long. So, I am now curious - in what position do others dive a bungeed alternate? Mid-chest, like AG, or closer to the chin (shorter bungee)?
I keep my bungee pretty tight. The reg ends up higher than my drysuit inflator valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom