Is Truk Lagoon only for advanced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevo26

Reaction score
Considering a trip to Truk Lagoon next year. Can anyone tell me if Truk is for advanced divers only? Specifically, depth of wrecks, currents, etc.

Yes - most time I spent from 60' - 130', with a couple of 150' +. Anywhere from no wreck penetration to rather aggressive. Current was not an issue.

BTW - wrecks are typically not my thing...but those wrecks are awesome!!!

I have to agree with Steve, most of the wrecks in Truk Lagoon are "advanced" dives due to depth. It is very easy diving, but you do have to be comfortable below 100'.

If you scroll to the bottom of my Truk Lagoon Trip Report, you'll see the depths of all the wrecks we visited during our week on the Truk Odyssey.

Truk is easily my dream trip. I am a History teacher and school counselor. I am also the 44 year old son of a WWII vet. To me it would be satisfying on a number of levels.

I spent a week on the Truk Odyssey in May. The maximum depth of my shallowest dive was 68 feet; my deepest was 171 feet. Most dives were in the 90-120 foot range at their deepest. I was in deco on eight of my 21 dives (although my Suunto is very conservative). In fact, here is the basic data for all my dives:

#1 Kiyosumi Maru 92 ft. 61 min.
#2 Kiyosumi Maru 103 ft. 47 min
#3 Yamagiri Maru 96 ft. 56 min.
#4 Yamagiri Maru 68 ft. 45 min.

#5 Fumizuki 124 ft. 35 min. DECO
#6 Shinkoku Maru 76 ft. 68 min.
#7 Shinkoku Maru 124 ft. 55 min. DECO
#8 Shinkoku Maru 101 ft. 42 min.

#9 I-169 122 ft. 41 min. DECO
#10 Rio de Janeiro Maru 79 ft. 63 min.
#11 Rio de Janeiro Maru 92 ft. 59 min.
#12 Sankisan Maru 81 ft. 43 min.

#13 Hoki Maru 135 ft. 47 min. DECO
#14 Fujikawa Maru 83 ft. 68 min.
#15 Fujikawa Maru 90 ft. 62 min.
#16 Fujikawa Maru 88 ft. 43 min.

#17 Nippo Maru 142 ft. 48 min. DECO
#18 Nippo Maru 128 ft. 60 min. DECO
#19 Heian Maru 96 ft. 70 min. DECO

#20 San Francisco Maru 171 ft. 70 min. DECO
#21 Kansho Maru 102 ft. 61 min.​

The ease of Truk is the relative lack of currents and the warmth of the water.

The danger is the depth and the penetrations.

If you're going to spend the money to fly to and dive Truk, I think you ought to go ahead and invest the time and money to complete an advanced certification and a nitrox certification. Taking a decompression procedures class wouldn't be a bad idea either.

When we say warm water, what can one expect? I would think that water temp really effects deco dives.

I did about 20 dives in Truk. The deepest was to 160', next deepest to 140', and the rest were shallower than 130'. As has been noted above, I consider the diving easy and suitable for an intermediate diver. You will miss out on some great stuff (I did) by skipping the really deep stuff and by not penetrating, but even the easily accessible wrecks are pretty awesome.

Isn't the policy at Truk look but don't touch in regards to any artifacts?

Yes, of course, no treasure hunting. There would be nothing left if they allowed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom