Is your knife sharp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is your knife sharp enough to cut anything? I've been sharpening a lot of my (non-dive) knives lately and it reminded me to check my dive knives.

I only use one small one but I own several. None of them were really all that sharp until I sharpened them.

How sharp are your knives? :)

I have a dive knife that can not cut cave line on the surface, I need to sharpen it but I carry a couple z-knifes that are super sharp.

My sawed-off steak knife is sharp for a serrated blade. My sawed-off Kershaw Amphibian is so sharp I can shave with it--high carbon steel is worth the extra maintance.

Mine are now shaving sharp as well. Knife sharpening is addictive! :)

I carry one set of trauma shears, and one Trilobite. Much better for cutting anything, IMHO. Not as good if you need to stab something/someone.

Sharp enough to saw through something... should definitely sharpen them later. Thanks for the reminder!

I stick with shears. Simple, cheap, light and almost idiot proof. Works for me.

Sharpening a knife is something that takes a skill I lack. Patience

My cutting knife is sharp. My old USD Seahawk knife isn't for cutting but it'll pry hammer and saw just fine.

Razor sharp. I use an 8" bastard file instead of a sharpening stone. This creates lots of burrs that are perfect for cutting fishing line. All you have to do is touch the line with a blade sharpened this way and you will cut right through it. Even if you wear off the burrs there is still a fine serrated edge on the knife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom