Isla Coiba Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll lead off with my experience with only two days there. I visited 4 five shops, checked out the boats and ended up choosing the DM who assured me I could dive my air and my own profile.

Boat motor broke. Rescued by another dive boat after a 3hr drift. No battery backup system on the radio.

Excellent pacific style diving, whale sharks of course a treat.

Not exactly a recommendation. More so I didn't come across any shop that appeared significantly better than the others.

Regards,
Cameron

Thanks for the reply Cameron.
Boat breaking down and no backup battery on the radio sounds indicative of a lack of "attention to detail" that would accompany contaminated air in cylinders, or, forgetting a diver or two before heading back to shore......

I looked at the ratings on Trip Adviser and found Coiba Dive Center, Coiba Dive Center (Santa Catalina) - All You Need to Know Before You Go - TripAdvisor. The positive ones sound a bit "too good", and the negative ones seem plausible, so, I am suspicious.

Any more suggestions?

To clarify all dive shops are on the mainland in tiny Santa Catalina. I visiteđ ín 2015. Very friendly shops with some good salespeople. Smattering of locals and young foreigners or older owners. Dive coiba seemed the biggest with a couple boats. Overall they dive boat fleet looked like rough large aging converted fishing vessels. It's an hour + to the dive sites. The general feeling was fairly sketchy lax diving standards. I hope I missed seeing the best couple operations. The diving is nice pacific conditions and sealife. I'd recommend it to autonomous divers but I have hesitations for a glowing report.

I wouldn't want to unfairly characterize the experience. Just my observations on the shops I visited and I took an evening and morning watching dive boats leaving and returning up the bay trying to get a feel for who I'd like to go with. Things may be different now.

As a bonus there's really gentle to fairly moderate surf and beautiful beaches there too.

It really comes down to the two long term dive ops in Santa Catalina; Coiba Dive Center and Scuba Coiba. I have dove with Scuba Coiba. The owner, Herbie, is very responsive to emails and it probably the most "customer focused" and honest. He goes out of his way to help visitors and divers. There were three problems we had with Scuba Coiba. 1) I rented a 5mm full suit that had a small hole in the butt that turned into a big hole in the butt. Rather "invigorating" when going through the thermocline. 2) the DM was a French jerk -- I won't go into the details unless you'd really like to read them -- who left for elsewhere soon after our trip. 3) the rinse tank at the shop is very small and had minimal amount of fresh water to clean our gear after 3 days of diving. I'm not sure you're going to get any better from Coiba Dive Center, which is very slow to respond to emails and questions.

On the plus side, the diving around Isla Coiba was great! It's the best in Panama. Far better than Hawaii (Maui, Kona or Kauai). The meals Scuba Coiba provided were excellent. I couldn't recommend anyone better.

Hey GB

Thanks for the detailed response. It sounds like it was a great dive experience (except for the snooty DM). If writing about it would be cathartic, feel free :) But, I have had my share of bad DMs, so, I have likely had similar experiences. I will send off an email to Scuba Coiba and get details from them. Do you have an email address for Herby?

Thanks again!

I took a small group to dive with Coiba Dive Center a couple of years ago and had a great experience with them. Spend a couple of days on Coiba and also one or two in Santa Catalina just hanging out. I wouldn't recommend the local diving in Santa Catalina but it's a cool little surfer town.

I understand it was impossible to stay overnight on Coiba Island a couple of months ago. Is this still the case? If so, what are the alternative arrangements like?

In relation to Scuba Coiba I see on their website "Each day you will dive at incredible sites, sleep on the largest uninhabited island in the world...". The word's largest uninhabited island is Devon Island in Canada, so that's going to be difficult, and I have to question whether anything else they say is going to be reliable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom