Island time? Why do we accept this excuse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, but one of the things that modernity has produced is global standards. As more and more competition happens across borders and oceans, it's harder and harder to get away with poor service in the name of local culture. In some ways, this is a bad thing - it makes the world more homogenous. But think about the services you provide (whatever they are). If you were to consistently provide less, sooner or later someone else will provide more.

I want to book a dive charter for a dozen of my friends. We have one day in town, and we will be at the dock at 8. You say that the captain will be there inshallah? Sorry, gonna book with the guy down the road, whose captain will show up whether God wills it or not.

And in your line of work, sooner or later some local guy is going to realize that by getting whatever you need done by 1100, he is going to get all of your business. Even if that's not a part of his "culture".

I want to say that I agree with most of what you have said here. I despise not getting things done in a timely fashion and then having that shrugged off with the word inshallah. I do not despise in anyway what inshallah means but I do have an issue with things not getting done in a timely fashion. Needed to be clear about that.

The only issue I had with your original post was stating it was not a cultural thing. Oh and the services I provide is dive training and gear sales.

Is it right? No it is not but it is cultural.

Having said that, I do love island time in Hawaii as things are just slower and more relaxed there. I find it to be much different than the inshallah culture. Also of note, if I have to wait 10 minutes for a beer, I am going to the bar to get my own from the bartender and will tip that person rather than the person waiting on me. That or I will find another place that can get me my beer or cocktail in a manner I determine to be timely.

My wife and I have only used two dive operations because we mostly shore dive. Both were punctual and efficient, on time and all that. They also weren't run by locals, or staffed by locals.

Restaurants are another story. Out of all of the places we've eaten only two really served us or were attentive at the pace we'd expect in the US and we eat out a lot. One was owned and operated by an Italian lady and the other a Dutchman. I honestly don't think the idea that the spirit of competition is going to speed things up has really taken hold on Bonaire. I don't think accepting reality is patronizing nor do I think expecting Bonarians to act like Americans is realistic. Just my take. I'll do more extensive study of the subject when we move there in early March.

I ran into a version of Island Time when I lived in rural Alabama and in v6sh Alaska where life moves at its own pace. I guess it is a cultural thing. It does remind me of the Texan who walks into an Irish pub and brags "i can get on a train in Texas, ride that train for two days and still be in Texas" One of the patrons looked up from his beer and replied, "I know the problem, we also have slow trains in Ireland."

Open up an efficient business in these locations and become a millionaire.

You may need to import and actually adequately pay your employees.

Interesting to see the different attitudes and cultures.
Personally, when I am on vacation I like to relax. So usually, if Iß not dying of thirst I like to sit down, take a breath, look at the menu and then order something. That does not mean that I like to wait 20 minutes before being asked what I´d like, but neither would I like to be pushed to order something as soon as I enter.
Also I like to sit after the meal, have another drink or take a look at the desserts, so getting the bill when food is served always makes me feel unwelcome.

So yes, lame service should not always be excused simply by being "vacation time" but on the other hand the general attitude of a destination should be considered.

I've been on lots of islands around the world (not as many as some) and Latin American countries. The service is remarkably the same in the majority of restaurants and bars. But not only that, when I was renting a place in San Pedro, Belize, many years ago, it was waiting for the plumber to come and fix a broken toilet, that was the most aggravating. That sort of wait here at home is unlikely.

I'm hoping to soon be "living" in SE Asia and/or Caribbean/Central America most of the year. I've already been talking to myself about accepting how different it's going to be.

Waiting on food, drink or your bill is easy compared to waiting days for a working toilet. :p

As long as things that need to be delivered in an on time fashion are delivered that way, why stress yourself out over something that you cannot change.

Especially Bonaire, where many divers go so that they're on their own schedule and not the dive ops.

A sign on a street on Caye Caulker says "Go Slow" and if a local sees me walking fast, there's a very good chance they'll smile and say "Go slow, gyal".

Big, wild world out there....just gotta navigate it.

One can find lazy people everywhere and I think one can also find locals that are sterling ambassadors of their culture while still making universally good choices about how to care for customers and run the business.

I personally enjoy getting into the local culture, exploring the prominent characteristics as well as the nuances and figuring out how to navigate the interpersonal terrain without being a dork or an a$$ about it.

If I’m not getting the service I would like, I get up and find the manager to give him a fair shot at improving matters. If one doesn’t seem to catch a spark then I politely and sincerely ask for his or her recommendation where we can find the service we’re looking for. If that doesn’t get his attention then I just leave and go find something else, usually casually asking patrons that are entering or leaving what other options are available to keep myself from dwelling on the disappointment and getting grouchy.

There’s also the opposite end of the spectrum where the staff tries to do too much and it ends up being an equal and opposite nuisance.

We travel.... We travel alot. I hear this excuse more in the Caribbean than anywhere else . 15 min before a server even takes your drink order? "It's island time". Another 10 min to bring a beer and soda? " It's island time" Let the flames begin. Bill ( tired of " island time")
Honestly you will Never understand. I like the laid back attitude myself personally when I'm on Vacation.

PS Skip Caynam Brac it will drive you insane.

Good service when there is a direct link between services provided and monies earned by the person directly providing that service is common sense and selfishness. When that link is less direct, or removed all together, then I guess you’re left with what we might regard as “pride in a job well done/shame in a job poorly done.”

Back
Top Bottom