ISO Clearer Definitions on "Training" and "Certification"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I manage a resort in northern Minnesota, so it's been a week or so since I've been able to log in and keep up with everything happening here at Scubaboard. To that end, I see that there are four pages of responses to this small request for clarification. Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll try to respond a little bit at a time so as not to overwhelm anyone.

This is precisely my complaint.

Yes. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Where does one go about finding instructors like these? What is the process?

Yes. Absolutely. I'm not looking to "master" some skill by the end of a training course, but I would like to have been trained in said skill above reading about it in a book and demonstrating that I can do it one time.

Here's an example: During my open water check-out dives, while demonstrating my ability to retrieve a lost regulator, my second stage began to free flow before it even left my hand. My arm was outstretched, away from my body, preparing to let it go when gas began flooding from it. Very calmly, I pulled the regulator back (having never let go of it) and stuck my finger in the mouthpiece to build up enough pressure to end the free flow. By the time I had completed the maneuver, however, I was feeling CO2 overload and needed a breath. I stuck the reg back in my mouth to take a breath with the intention of attempting the reg retrieval a second time. Instead, my instructor gave me the "okay" sign and moved to the next student. I didn't even get to officially complete the skill and was checked off.

In all fairness, the water temperature was 45° on the platform we were at, but there were only five students. Honestly, what would have been best for "testing" the reg retrieval skill (even if it happened in the pool sessions) would have been if the instructor randomly slapped the reg out of my mouth. How often are you going to pull your reg from your mouth and let go of it in a real world setting? It's likely to be kicked or slapped or otherwise dislodged in a moment of surprise. Using this to test the skill seems a better choice.

So, while I don't want to be a "master" of a skill, I'd still like to walk away from a training session I've paid for feeling (at the very least) confident and competent. I did not master the skills of essay writing from a single semester of English Composition in college, but it certainly helped me to feel more confident and competent.

So, you can find these things in a few ways.........there are a few agencies that offer this type of training........there are instructors that incorporate this training into their programs.

The agencies are Unified Team Diving (UTD), Global Underwater Explorers (GUE), RAID and ISE. There are others like SNSI that offer something similar. If you find instructors trained by these agencies offering courses from the more popular agencies, (PADI, SSI, SDI, NAUI etc) likely they will incorporate similar skills. There may also be instructors that, although not trained, may try to incorporate these things into regular courses.

Here on scubaboard there are several instructors that offer a superior training program, I’m not aware of any in your area but within a state or two and they most likely are willing to travel. I’d recommend Ryan Custureri (Ft. Lauderdale), Jim Lapenta ( Cannonsburg, PA), Pete Murray (OBrien FL).....there are others but those are a few out east.

I guarantee you will come away from their courses feeling challenged, more confident, safer and a clear path to your next goal.

This will help you become a diver vs an underwater tourist.

Thanks, everyone, for all the help! It has certainly been an eye-opening experience to see the broad range of ideas and suggestions (and even more eye-opening to see how little those ideas and suggestions truly vary at their root). You've all helped me a great deal!

Back
Top Bottom