ISO quality vibrating cleaner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy_Canuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Servicing my own equipment but need reasonably priced vibrating type heated cleaning machine. Any ideas on size ( 2-3-4 litre) brand name and model number? Thankx.. for OC regs and stages.

Don't know if you have Harbor Freight up there, but I've had one of these for years now and it seems to do well for me.

2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner

You can probably find it with different labels, depending on the seller.

Bob

Here are two Bransonic offers on ebay:

BRANSON CPX952317R Ultrasonic Cleaner MH 1.5 Gal 60 Min. for sale online | eBay

Bransonic Ultrasonic Cleaner Model B-32 | eBay

The first link is "Don't spend any more than this" and the second is an old battle-axe model that I particularly favor. Buy it broken and send it back to Branson for repair. (my .02)

BTW, no heat on second model. Just use hot water and don't ever run it unfilled or you will crack the powerful transducers. I would buy the $75 dollar special, open it up and look for any cracks on the transducers (orangish discs glued to the bottom of the tank). Send the unit back to Branson repair if any are cracked. You will get one hell of a great unit back. Just run it filled and it will last forever.

I know that I'm making too much of this, but the B-32 thing got stuck in my mind. I did some searching, looks like someone (years ago) in Branson had a sense of humor. The B-32 was a 'no frills, failure is not an option' backup to the B-29. Amusing to me, YMMV

Consolidated B-32 Dominator - Wikipedia

You can do a function test on anything you buy, using aluminum foil. There is plenty about this online. Making the right noise doesn't always mean it's sonicating properly, as I found out with a second hand commercial model I got.

I agree that paying up for a heated model is a mostly unnecessary luxury. Unless you do long production runs, by the time the unit heats the liquid for that one reg set, you could have been done already. The microwave is much faster.

If I ever buy another, I'll get one large enough to do two complete reg sets at a time. The jewelry cleaner and small commercial unit were barely up to holding one set, if you are putting the entire set of 2nd stage parts in.

To your point: Anything you buy will 'buzz'. But how well does it clean? Hard question, you offer good suggestions.

From your link:
"Degassing is accomplished by activating the degas mode (if so equipped) or operating the unit without a load. A uniform hissing sound, absence of large bubbles and a "blurred" solution surface indicates a degassed solution."

Degass mode can also be had by starting with hot medium (water and soap) and running the full unit without parts until the tone changes. That is the fastest way to knock dissolved gasses out of the medium so that the energy that was producing cavitation now goes into the parts.

You will notice a very abrupt change in tone when this happens (if you are using a powerful unit).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom