Isobaric Countertransport And Mix Switch Strategies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis once bubbled...
.... to steal a GI phrase may be in my future.

That plus a hammerhead is starting to look awfully attractive; the only biatch is that I might decide I like it so much that I'd end up abandoning OC for anything other than spearing (its illegal to spearfish on a RB in Florida.)

That'd lead to a major closet-cleaning and eBAYing operation around here... :)

I prefer Mad Mole's version: "Yellow Box of Debt"!!!=-)

The HammerHead is a unique unit, and Kevin is constanly working to improve the unit, thanks to input from a lot of talented CCR divers, such as Tom Mount, Mark Nix, and many others too numerous to list. :wink:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

Yeah, if you look at a chart of average cost versus gas useage, it doesn't take long to pay for your CCR in helium cost savings, IF you go deep a lot!:wink:

Someone worked out that it took about 70-80 70m gas dives before you break even in the UK, less if you go deeper - the US would take longer cos He is cheaper.
Somehow my other half doesn't seem to see the point when I claim my diving is now effectively 'free' I can go more :)
For me its the gas management itself and the ability to switch sites and depths easily that makes the difference, I can use He based gas on every dive, even shallow ones, that and the 'serenity of being alone under water on a unit is hard to beat

its also the lighter kit overall, and the convenience.

Yes, there is more maintenance required, but it doesn't seem all that daunting.....

Something I have to start thinking about.....

Genesis once bubbled...
its also the lighter kit overall, and the convenience.

Yes, there is more maintenance required, but it doesn't seem all that daunting.....

Something I have to start thinking about.....

Genesis,

You are quite correct on all of your points. It is lighter over-all. When you consider how long the bottom time is for one set-up, it is more convenient. Yes, there is some more maintenance required, but not all that much. No, it's not daunting once you break it down to basic concepts. While astronauts do use them, it is not quite rocket science!

The hardest part is changing your basic mind-set. I liken it to teaching someone to fly. Once you make it an ingrained habit to RELIGIOUSLY do your pre-fllight, watch your gauges while you "fly", and do your post-fllight checks, it is no harder than OC.

The benefits are MUCH longer bottom times, even within NDL's, warm and moist breathing gas, and silence. Fish and turtles are just so much more friendly when you're on an RB! When you dive a Turtle (Inspiration) real turtles are sometimes WAY too friendly!:wink:

flw once bubbled...
There are lots of reasons for choosing to use a RB, however cost shouldn't be among them - they do carry significant risks, the biggest of which is CO2, common among all units, which as it stands will render you incapaple quicker than you will realise you have a problem.
Shallow the risks are greater than open circuit, deep, like somewhere around the 75m and deeper the risks are probably greater on OC - depends on who you ask - on an Inspiration it is very easy to overstep your skill levels early on particularly if you;ve only ever had problems in drills rather than actually happen. Having said that, I got tangled up today in an old line and some wire 24 minutes into a 68m dive, on OC it would have been an issue over gas, as it was, it was simply a case of disentangling then doing the extra stops - and being a bit cold along the way
My buddy has a hammerhead, it had two attempts at failing in the first 10 hours of use, one a frozen screen, I can't remember what the other one was, he's awaiting the new upgrade, and has gone back to the AP head inbetween - I'm going to wait for the new AP head, and trade in my unit 6 months later

I only know of 3 problems that have occurred with the HH (and 1 software bug that I found) the 3 problems were with flooding the fischer connectors and someone wrapping the wristband around the unit after a dive not letting the wet switches dry of therefor killing the batteries..
The fisher connectors are a robust system but people must take care they are locked when they are attached and if the units are disconnected not to let water in the connectors between dives..

The latest versions of the HH have the internal side of the fischer connector totall pottet with a dialetric silicon.

For more information d/l the current manual from Kevin's site.. The last version I posted was version 3.0.. another update is comming soon..

There was a deco software bug that only happend under some rare circumstances that cause the HH to calculate crazy tiime ramaining at the end of the dive.. this only happend on long deep dives.. From what kevin tells me this was repoted on a total of 3 or 4 dives (2 of them were mine)it was fixed on all versions with the GF additions.. During this time the screen would appear to lockup usually for 15 or 20 seconds (I had a lockup of about 30 second once)while it calculated the requirements(there have also been some measures to set max time deco calcs could hold off po2 updates).. the secondary was still functioning so if you were worried about po2 levels you could have manually added..

I have done dive to 90m+ on the HH, and definately prefer it to the standard head.. For someone who like to abuse their gear and not care for removable connectors Kevin will be offering Hard wired versions at special request.

The new powersupply is great, he ran several days on the secondary on a single AA and 12plus hours on the primary firing every 5 seconds for almost 1 second bursts, far more often than a diver would do.. By them time I write this his finaly software tweaks should be done to further extend the batterylife....

Back
Top Bottom