Isolator knob position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Continueing the Thread Hijack - but it's my thread so ...

I had someone at a lds tell me that they are supposed to loosen the bands prior to filling and then tightened back down after - but he doesn't do it as a rule. has anyone heard of this? I've never heard of it done before.
I'm guessing NFL has more doubles (over)filled than anywhere else, and I've NEVER seen this done.

Okay, I'll fess up. Fell on my . . . tank . . . at the ramp at Lobos. Could have been pretty painful, so all in all I'm glad only the crossbar got bent.

Slap some buddies upside the head for missing this on a dive that so obviously called for a gear check! :shocked2:

Slap some buddies upside the head for missing this on a dive that so obviously called for a gear check! :shocked2:

Ouch. Guilty as charged. If it was a captured o-ring manifold it would have been easy to spot :D

goes to show ya, always check your dive buddy's nuts....

jamb nuts that is. :D

Just as a followup to illustrate how easy it can be to miss (if you're not aware/looking for it), several days passed before we even noticed a problem.

There was a fall at the beginning of the dive, but equipment and bubble check showed no problems. We dove, we took the tanks in for fills, picked them up, brought them back, and put them in the gear room. In the meantime, I looked at them a couple of times and asked myself "do they look a little funny?" It was maybe two days before I took a closer look and noticed that the manifold was slightly askew.

It's kind of funny, I noticed there was some optical illusion-type thing that made the tanks look off, but didn't make the connection for a long time.

If a tank falls from several feet, that is a lot of force. I'm not sure any band no matter how tight would be able to keep tanks from slipping.

Hindsight is 20/20. I doubt I would have caught the bent isolator during a gear check. I might have caught it during a fill when the tanks weren't standing up square. Besides, if it wasn't leaking, it probably wasn't an immediate danger.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom