ISOSAD: The International Semi-Organized ScubUNO Association of Divers

Members of ISOSAD. (Vote, and your name will be included on the public results.)

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
isosad.jpg

International Semi-Organized ScubUNO Association of Divers

History:

In the beginning was a thread, "[thread=153272]Fun stuff in Boring places...[/thread]" by trucker girl. In the fifth post in that very thread, on the third of August, 2006, Ber Rabbit uttered the words which would declare the impending arrival of what would eventually become ISOSAD:
Ber Rabbit:
UNO has waterproof cards now :biggrin:
Within days, the idea had blossomed into its own thread, [thread=154157]The Ultimate UNO Challenge[/thread], and on the 16th of August, erparamedic posted the thread announcing the first games had been played: [thread=155035]UNO results are in!![/thread] More games were to be played soon thereafter, and by the 19th of August, the underwater UNO was already being called "ScubUNO".

Then, on the 10th of September, ClayJar and a buddy went up to Alabama Blue Water Adventures in Pelham, AL, and played several rounds of ScubUNO and other games, and in the "ScubUNO Baton Rouge field trip report." posted to the UNO results thread, the name "SOSAD" (Semi-Organized ScubUNO Association of Divers) was coined. By the 14th of September, with at least one Canadian involved, SOSAD added an 'I' for International and became ISOSAD.

By that time, there were already quite a few members, and ISOSAD has been growing ever since.

Mission:

ISOSAD's mission, which is more of a guideline than anything, is to spread the fun of underwater gaming to divers far and wide. While ISOSAD encourages divers to have fun in whatever safe ways they please, ISOSAD is specific to "indoor games" -- card games, board games, table games, et cetera.

(Playing catch with Toypedoes, underwater tag, or other such activities are outside ISOSAD, but there is absolutely no prohibition on combining them with gaming on ISOSAD dives.)

Membership:

Anyone who enjoys the idea of playing games underwater is welcome to become a provisional member of ISOSAD. To become a full member, you must participate in at least one underwater gaming dive. If at all possible, ScubUNO or a similar card game should be played.

There is no distinction between ordinary members and gaming dive leaders. However, any full or provisional member choosing to lead an ISOSAD gaming dive should bring the game materials or arrange for them to be brought by other participating divers. (In other words, if you get people to come play, be sure you don't forget the games -- that wouldn't be fun. :D)

There is a poll attached to this thread with public results showing all those who vote. If you are (or become) a member of ISOSAD, simply add your vote, which will automatically include your name on the results page (just click the number of votes to see the list). This way nobody will be overlooked or forgotten. Since polls need at least two options to be posted, there's also an ignore-me list for anyone who really hates games. :D

Games:

Helpful instructions for various games have been collected in the [thread=194534]ISOSAD: Underwater Gaming HowTo[/thread]. Included among them are:Feel free to convert additional surface games to be playable underwater, but if possible, either fill out the simple template on the HowTo thread or explain enough about how you did it for someone else to do the HowTo entry on that game. In this way, we can continually increase the number of games for which helpful information is available.

(Games currently being considered for adaptation include Monopoly, Risk, and other board games. Such games may require considerable preparation before being playable underwater, but *somebody's* gotta do it. :D)

Threads:

As ISOSAD's goals and the goals of Dork Diving mesh so very well together, ISOSAD threads go best in the Dork Divers forum on ScubaBoard. In order to make them easily locatable by divers interested in ISOSAD (and also easily ignorable by any Dork Divers who may not be interested in underwater gaming), all ISOSAD threads should have "ISOSAD:" at the beginning of their titles.

Periodically, the HowTo thread and any other ISOSAD reference threads may be restarted with only the reference posts reposted in the new thread (in order to consolidate the instructions). In such cases, the previous thread will be linked for archival purposes.

Other Stuff:

http://bewarn.googlepages.com/sosad (including additional history and member information)

CafePress ISOSAD Gear

I rewrote this immediately *after* the Great Burn. (Was the original better or worse? The world need never know.)

Hmmm... I don't remember this thread, but apparently I already voted on the poll!

Lol...I'd already voted in the poll too...but thank ya for making sure this thread lived on, CJ! :)

Okay, so when do you guys (that's a Wisconsinite generic collective pronoun, if any NDDs are thinking of making anything of it) want to get together for an ISOSAD dive? How about a weekend in September? All I ask is that it not be the 14th-16th, as I've got a checkout dive to work.

Of course, if you're trying to decide between several reasonably acceptable sites, choosing one that might be a little bit farther from you but significantly closer to Louisiana (as measured by Google driving directions from 70806) would be a nice gesture, but if it's drive farther or no ScubUNO, I'll spend the gas money. :biggrin:

Thanks to J.'s work messing up her visa (and thereby completely obliterating all our vacation plans), I didn't end up using the vacation time I was planning to use in August. She doesn't have another vacation until late December or so, and by that time, I'll have lost four vacation days to the void (we're allowed to carry up to 50 days, and I'll hit that in October).

So, thanks to a supremely disappointing bit of circumstances, I basically have a forced vacation staring me in the face. It'd be fun to get in at least a small ISOSAD: AND UGLY. (My alternative is to go down to the Keys or something, but what would be the point of that? :biggrin:)

Hmmmm...a communal gathering of nerdiness and diving sounds like bliss to me...

RJ has a gig on Sept 3rd...and I may be possibly busy the 14th & 15th, so that weekend would be out for me as well.....

As far as location goes, with one dog that gets cancer meds twice a day and another that is a very strong and energetic 100+ pound puppy that jumps fences, it's next to impossible for me to find some one to watch the dogs - even more so if it's for an overnight and not just letting them out once for a potty break....so any location that would be feasible for me to attend would have to be within, say, a 2 hour drive or less of Lima, Ohio. Boarding 4 dogs is not an option right now due to cost.... That kind of limits things as far as location if I am to attend....but I just can't get away right now to do more than that.

RJ and I are planning on diving Aug. 25th at Portage Quarry......

Cost is a major factor for me too...pretty much everything that Ecky said applies...but like she also said, we'll be at Portage on the 25th...will anyone be able to come up for that, perhaps?

I don't get it...is battleship one of the games we can play underwater?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom