• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Issues with hydro retesting of galvanized steel tanks/cylinders

Discussion in 'Tanks, Valves and Bands' started by lowviz, Sep 6, 2019.

1. AustinV

AustinV Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    This is all good info, I’m going to contact my LDS as well and ask if they have had any issues with this with the company they use for hydros.

lowviz likes this.
  2. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    You have them on approval. No skin off your nose. Can't lose.

I'll buy back any tank that fails for the price you paid me. Just get the failed tank back. I'll pick it up next time I'm in DC.

I used to have a stellar trader rating on SB but since they migrated to Xenforo, we are all just 'buy/sell' monkeys. I'm not a business, just an old diver with a lot of stuff that I don't like to see sitting around and underappreciated...

3. AustinV

AustinV Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Ha, thanks, it’s actually another set I have that’s due, the tanks I got from you are still in hydro for a year or so I believe. Should be diving them next weekend so I’ll let you know what I think of them, I think they’ll trim out just fine.

Stand-up seller you are though, that’s for sure. Thanks again!

Marie13 likes this.
  4. JamesBon92007

JamesBon92007 Great White

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I once traded an out-of-date AL50 for a freshly-hydroed galvanized steel 72 at a dive shop. I offered to pay for the hydro but the owner said "not necessary." It was right about then that I learned how much of a mark-up dive shops have on hydro tests :wink:

5. Flotsam

Flotsam Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    The answer to my question is probably the obvious one, but when buying used, are the painted Faber's the tanks actually painted white/black? Currently thinking about buying a set of white LP 85 to double up, and just wanted to make sure I knew the difference between HDG and painted...

6. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I've always seen them white. Black and white is a European convention, so check the tank makings and make sure it's DOT before you buy.

Bob

Flotsam likes this.
  7. Flotsam

Flotsam Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Ah, good to know. Thank you! These are all white, but another pair for sale was all black. They weren't there color-coded banded ones like the EU has, but I remember now coming across an all white tank for sale a couple years ago, without a burst valve. I'll make sure I see DOT before purchasing

Bob DBF likes this.
  8. runsongas

runsongas Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    i have a pair of painted fabers that are black. white is more common though.

Flotsam likes this.