Issues with YS-110 Strobes with Fiber Optic Drive Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snewland01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a pair of newly re-built YS-110 driven by a G16 with parallel fiber optic cables. I typically use manual 1 / slave on settings. I'm having issues getting repeatable flashes. The camera is set to flash and does flash, but I typically get a couple of strobe flashes, then nothing until I re-cycle power. I can place the strobes in TTL, and they flash every time, but since i have no TTL input the flash is maximum power.

Any suggestions?

Scott

Outside the housing, does the camera flash every time. You can also try to see if a TV remote will trigger the strobes. I assume you mean the you recycle the power on the camera, not the strobes. If that is true it sounds like a G16 issue.
Bill

This seems like the refurbishment was suboptimal. Can you trigger them with your TV remote?
Bill

There are a few issues to sort through, it sounds like on manual you might be be flashing too often :
  • What flash mode are you using on the G16? There is Auto, on, off and slow sync in Tv/Av and on or off in Manual mode
  • What shooting mode on G16 - Tv, Av or M?
  • Which mode are you using on YS-110? You say Manual 1 which assumes there will be a preflash however from what I can tell in Manual mode on the G16 there is no pre flash, only in Auto/P modes
  • You say: "I can place the strobes in TTL, and they flash every time, but since i have no TTL input the flash is maximum power." I'm not sure what this means - the fact it is over exposing sounds like you are sending a full power flash from the G16 - TTL should work if you are using Tv/Av on the G16.
If you are in manual and on half power two flashes in quick succession will drain the capacitor and you have to wait 2 seconds or so to recycle. What settings are you using for shooting ? you should only need relatively low powers for the G16. Something like 1/250 at f4 ISO80 or similar.

It's a lot of questions but the problem with this type of flash arrangement is the flash does not know what the camera is doing and camera does not know it's got a external flash attached so the settings on both sides need to be correct and you need to check all of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom