Issuing cert cards before training is complete-Split from Sotis vs IANTD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I've done this twice. I didn't get the warm fuzzies that I was promised, so I don't make a practice of it. I teach OW through NASE and they've never suggested that I do this, since I usually only issue a E-Card. I go online, check off the skills we accomplished and when everything has been satisfied, I issue the E-Card. That's what I like about NASE, it makes me verify each and every skill I covered and I certainly won't fill something like that in advance.

But whether you do or don't is moot to me. I don't think it's a biggie compared to bypassing all the experience dives required before the onset of hypoxic training.

Personally, I've done this twice. I didn't get the warm fuzzies that I was promised, so I don't make a practice of it. I teach OW through NASE and they've never suggested that I do this, since I usually only issue a E-Card. I go online, check off the skills we accomplished and when everything has been satisfied, I issue the E-Card. That's what I like about NASE, it makes me verify each and every skill I covered and I certainly won't fill something like that in advance.

But whether you do or don't is moot to me. I don't think it's a biggie compared to bypassing all the experience dives required before the onset of hypoxic training.
Same with RAID. I certify students on the beach or even on the boat ride back if i have internet. No "cheating the system" and QA is not a joke either.

So with an e-card, you would need Internet access to be able to show it, right?

Or a print out or a screen capture photograph. For a few agencies there is also a letter you can download to show. Or an offline version of the card.

I once issued a cert with the wrong photo. Caught my mistake the next day. Notified my agency. They reversed the cert and urged me to inform the student to destroy the card upon arrival. No hassle given my clear mistake.

On the other hand signing off on a cert before completing the training the certification is certifying is complete sounds nonsensical.

If my name certifies a training is complete it had better be complete prior to my signing... Embarrassing at best if something prevented my prophecy from coming true.

Cameron

No, some agencies Apps Store them locally

Not necessarily. many agencies have apps that will store your credentials with them there.

Not necessarily. many agencies have apps that will store your credentials with them there.

Or even just a PDF document. All of my SDI/TDI cards I have as official PDFs and I put them on my phone via Dropbox. You could do the same with any of the various file/document sharing cloud sites with associated phone apps (Dropbox, iCloud, Box, etc, etc).

I’ve earned more certifications and thus own more C cards than I can count. (Only have 20 fingers and toes.) I’ve scanned or photographed most of them and keep copies in image folders on my phone and laptop, and thus do not need a cell or internet connection to present a specific document.

I always have my DAN and Liability Insurance card hard copies in my wallet, along with one or two certs, and can produce documentation for a specific certification upon request when I dive with an operation where I’m not well known. When I travel, I bring along the hard copies of any specific card that will be required for the services needed for the dives I plan to make. (i.e: I’ll bring along a Trimix card and proof of training for a specific CCR when traveling with that unit.)

I’m quite judicious regarding the use of the word “never,” but I’ve never signed off on a student’s certification prior to their satisfactory completion of all course requirements.

RAID emails a PDF copy and the app stores an offline version as well. On the website you can click on Member Certification and enter a name and verify certs and dive numbers

Looks like this

Learn to scuba dive | Get your scuba certification | Scuba diving lessons | Online scuba training | Learn to dive rebreathers | Scuba diving schools | Scuba vacations | Underwater photography | Diver training program

I don’t log dives on the site except prerequisite dives, since transferring from subsurface etc was a pain.

For new divers it’s fine if you start logging on the site from the beginning.

But that's a huge legal liability for the instructor and it's all because of a TIMING issue. So most students immediately jump in right after their course. But they failed and still want to dive.
No problem,,,,Padi has their certification ON LINE,,just say you lost the card and tell the boat to look it up online-----which shows they passed.
Kid dies,,,,,who's padi and the boat going to point the finger at?
If someone wants a c-card and can't pass a class it's not like they have to commit fraud to get what they want. There's no law against creating your own agency and issuing yourself a c-card that I know of. You can get 'em printed here for cheap: https://www.vistaprint.com/business...1&GP=01/08/2019+09:31:53&GPS=5280958786&GNF=0

Sure, someone somewhere might turn away a paying customer with a c-card from kelemvor's discount dive cards... I bet most would not give it a second thought.

Or they could just pick from one of the hundreds of existing agencies and go train with another.

One of the edges to that double-edged-sword that is an unregulated dive industry.

Back
Top Bottom