It should not be this hard to find insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't believe you statement is correct. At least not the part that says you have to call them first. In life-threatening situations EMS should be the first one called. IN this case DAN would be the second call. You do not have to make the call anyone can make the call to DAN.

As someone else mentioned I wear the DAN tag on my BC which has not only my DAN membership ID but also my emergency contact information.

Also, one would think that with less than 24 dives you would not be diving solo.

I definitely agree with your first statement Ron. DAN has always been available to me to answer any question that I asked.

Definitely have a DAN or DIVEASSURE tag on your bc. Just to let someone know that you are a memeber.

Ron, he didn't say he was diving solo, just going on a trip alone. I've gone on a lot of trips alone that I didn't dive solo on.

I called my company's medical insurance and they told me that there is no amount limit or exclusions for my trip to Vietnam and the scuba diving activities. They said that if there is a medical emergency, just pay and they will reimburse. Just make sure I get an itemized report of the services from the doctor(s).
I'm like how the heck am I going to pay for something costing over $5k?

The person you talked to is full of oats after they've been though the horse.

There isn't an insurance company in the world that will pay an unlimited amount of money for anything. If some doc says that your chamber ride is ten million dollars and you pay it, you're in for a surprise when you submit the bill to your insurance company.

Insurance companies will generally pay what's "reasonable and customary" although there are often disagreements as to what that means. This is one of the reasons it's good to call DAN ASAP, since they'll work this out and prevent you from getting stuck with a huge bill.

Terry

I'm late posting here, but gotta comment...
Both DAN and DiveAssure are getting on my nerves.
Both indicated that the dying diver needs to call DAN or DiveAssure first!

How the freaking way am I going to call if I have the dcs? If I'm by myself on a trip, I don't have a friend or family member to call for me.

Dan and DiveAssure, YOU SUCK!
I believe you are incorrect about DAN. I like to call them first if I can reasonably, but their instructions are to activate EMS in an emergency first.
I don't believe you statement is correct. At least not the part that says you have to call them first. In life-threatening situations EMS should be the first one called. IN this case DAN would be the second call. You do not have to make the call anyone can make the call to DAN.

As someone else mentioned I wear the DAN tag on my BC which has not only my DAN membership ID but also my emergency contact information.

Also, one would think that with less than 24 dives you would not be diving solo.
Correct.
After reading the fine print between DAN and DiveAssure, I'm going with DiveAssure. They offer a lot more for roughly the same price. Plus, it's also a "primary" insurance where as DAN is secondary.

DiveAssure will make arrangement to pay the provider if they require payment up front. DAN will not do that and you would need to get the reimbursement after the incident.

I think DiveAssure is about $15 more than DAN.
Yes, DAN will advance funds if needed for treatment. They have many times. Use the other if you wish, but DAN is he original.
The person you talked to is full of oats after they've been though the horse.

There isn't an insurance company in the world that will pay an unlimited amount of money for anything. If some doc says that your chamber ride is ten million dollars and you pay it, you're in for a surprise when you submit the bill to your insurance company.

Insurance companies will generally pay what's "reasonable and customary" although there are often disagreements as to what that means. This is one of the reasons it's good to call DAN ASAP, since they'll work this out and prevent you from getting stuck with a huge bill.

Terry
Good call. I'd like DAN and the treating facility to settle that without my involvement or money if possible, and DAN will try if called.

DAN has declined unreasonable charges in Latin America that lead to a stink, then DAN advancing payments, then a settlement.

DAN has declined unreasonable charges in Latin America that lead to a stink, then DAN advancing payments, then a settlement.

DAN should decline these payments then work out something reasonable! They should not let us or Dan get pushed around by some crooks. (I think we are agreeing on this Don).

To the OP when you are on your trip as some of the other guests what coverage they have and maybe the resort/boat dive op whatever. I have always been asked for my Dan number never another insurance number (not for an incident just when checking in).

DAN should decline these payments then work out something reasonable! They should not let us or Dan get pushed around by some crooks. (I think we are agreeing on this Don).
Sorry, I should not have mentioned that I guess without explaining more. During that scandal, DAN did decline some unreasonable bills, but never left any injured diver out cold. They wired money as needed to get the treatments, until they negotiated an end to that problem. It was an active topic on the Coz forum for a while some years ago.

So which is better DAN or dive assure?

So which is better DAN or dive assure?
That's really a personal call. Both offer family discounts, both have bottom plans that are really inadequate, both have good middle plans, but the top plans vary greatly.

Open a couple of tabs and compare the benefits, but if you go with Assure, it'd also good to be a DAN member anyway.

After spending a few weeks doing Dive Assure / Dan insurance research I can attest to this : Both companies have absolute freaking MORONS for phone reps. I've heard things like "I don't know what we cover" to "you have to call us first to get any coverage" to "we don't cover chambers", etc. I even had one phone rep tell me to call their underwriter, and after listening to her (she had the tone of voice of someone who knows what they are talking about) I was pretty sure diveassure wouldn't cover anything diver related.

So yea, they lack in knowledge of what they are selling. In all honesty they should probably have some scuba divers work for them.

I ended up going with dive assure insurance and dan membership (non insurance).

When I got to the Dr Office for a simple cough or something and I walk in the lobby and there are 25 people there and I know a bunch doesnt have insurance and this is easy to observe because of people filling out paperwork and then I flip my Insurance card up and my Copay and almost every time I am called prior and then gone before they are seen! NOW

At some point you had to fill out paper work at your drs office...probably the first time you went? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom