Italian woman dead on Mozambique reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Body of missing diver recovered off the coast of Mozambique | Lowvelder
Eleonora and her husband Matteo Gobbi from Italy who were visiting the area went out on a dive at around 09:00 on Friday.

Linda Cooke reported that they were on their way to a reef. There was a strong current and when the divers swam into it to reach the reef, Eleonora went missing. A search party immediately started searching and continued to look for her until today.

READ MORE HERE: Details surrounding alleged hijacking on N4 still unclear

During the search, friends and family of Eleonora needed funds to cover the costs of the rescue which involved the use of helicopters and emergency teams.

Cooke sent a message today to say that Eleonora’s body was recovered this morning. “Please respect family at this time. A full report will be issued later.

“We wish to thank everybody involved who had helped even in small ways and prayers. The money donated will be used for a good cause. We will publish another report much later. For now we are respectful to the family,” Cooke concluded.

I know someone who was there.

She and her husband got seperated. There were 2 or 3 groups on the reef from the some centre (some doing research)

The Victim was seen after separation close to another group, but she didn't make physical contact with any of them (i.e tell someone she was joining)

That was the last time she was seen.

Alarm wasn't raised (by husband till he surfaced)

Dive teams recalled and Dive Pro's went back in the water. One boat got more cylinders one stayed on station. Pro divers went back in for as long as they could

The current on the site had increased.

The teams kept out searching on the surface until they had to return for fuel.

They went out the following day, and the day after. Some senior NAUI Tech divers joined. On the last day the conditions were horrendous with 12' waves and low vis. but all the Pro's went in.

When she was found it was without dive gear (local fishermen probably had it away)

No one will ever know the cause.

Lesson for everyone: If you get seperated carry out lost buddy procedure. Don't carry on diving.

If you join a group as a single diver under water, make yourself known.

That's all the basics I have

Thanks for the report, Diving Dubai.

She and her husband got seperated.
I think that is one of the worst failures divers make, maybe second only to "body found with weights still on." Just don't let it happen. My home bud always had to fight to equalize while I never had a problem, and at first I was one of those "see you on the bottom" divers. After reading many tales here and surviving a few of our own, I learned that real buddies stay together - entering, clearing - however long it takes, descending, ascending, safety stop, and exiting. No exceptions.

Also true about hikers. We had a news story yesterday of a lady found after an extensive search by dozens over days. She & her daughter started together, the daughter got ahead, and then the disaster unfolded. Mom's dead. My daughters & grandkids like to leave me behind on trails even tho I'm the one with a PLB. I just won't hike with them anymore. My home bud quit diving, so I started all the precautions I could add to become an independent for the dives I go make, like I do with the hikes I do take - but I have limited my adventures with age. I've since outlived my home bud and my best Marine Corp bud.

Lesson for everyone: If you get seperated carry out lost buddy procedure. Don't carry on diving.
:thumb:

It has been a rather terrible tragedy to say the least! Terrible for all involved no doubt.

We have been following here on the one facebook group we all use for Moz. DriveMoz

No gear??? There’s more to that story.

Per @Diving Dubai likely "relieved" of her gear by locals who initially found her body... some folks never pass up an opportunity to pillage.

Exactly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom