It's been delivered! My OTS mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sterlingMarineService

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I wanted to write a review on it since not veryany people are!

It was delivered about a week ago: the first thing I did was take it to the pool to try it out and learn how to use it before diving it in puget sound! It went well and the only thing that I found difficult was removing it underwater and putting it back on. The area where you look out of clears with out me even doing a thing? But the mouth area was almost immpossible to purge? It is positive preassure which might make a difference? One thing that's weird is when you push the purge it doesn't spew out air if it's sealed on your face which is maybe why it wouldn't drain the air. The only other complaint is the receiver like to pick up my breathing:(

the next day I dove it in the sound and it was very obvious that it was a hundred times warmer!!! I was sweating in there! The equalizier piece worked perfectly and the vision was great!

I also bought a QD hose with swivel lock and an aga swivel! For what I do I need to be able to remove the mask easliy from my gear and the swivel makes the mask fit better!

Overall it's awesome and fun to use! I like how easy it is to take apart and lean the salt out of after a dive.

The mike picking up your breathing is a standard issue with all underwater communication systems that have an in mask mike. It is not the design of the mask.

It also sounds like you need some professional instruction on the use (mainly clearing the mask and emergency procedures) before you really do any diving with it.

Sterling,

It sounds like your lever may be a little out of adjustment (low), adjusting this should help in purging. Question: Did you read the manual on how to clear the mask? It is a fairly easy operation, but if the lever is low, this will make it a bit more difficult. Call OTS and talk to them about the lever adjustment, this is easy to do with proper instruction. Don't do it without talking to someone there though. You might be interested in taking a technician class on the mask as well. They're having one in the Tacoma area on the 24th of this month.

Most likely it's not your microphone picking up your breathing, but your transducer. Many first stage regulators can emit a high frequency noise upon inhalation, this is picked up by the transducer. Some first stages are much worse than others, and this "signal" can be increased by a regulator requiring maintenance.

yup! I read the instruction manual after I dove in the pool to make sure I was doing it right and obviously I was :)

I wanted to take the technician class also! thanks on the info!

I also tried calling OTS but they dont like answering their phones so we have been playing phone tag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom