Itza Lodge. Long Caye, Belize. The good, bad and everything else

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate sand, and I'm pretty sure I have ADHD, so beaches aren't really my thing... but understood.

Did they have AC at Itza? Their friggin generators keep us up some nights, so I assume that's what they're running for. I never use AC when I'm diving but I know that's an issue for some.
There is no AC. Itza switches from solar to generators, which was quite noisy

There is no AC. Itza switches from solar to generators, which was quite noisy
Ya we can hear them across the way. Huracan runs the generator in the evening sometimes to charge batteries then shuts down over night. 99% of the time, they last all night and are ok for fans and so on, but even leaving items being charged plugged in longer than necessary may shorten that battery life slightly.

thank you for the review. I considered both of these places but went with Turneffee because I couldn't find any reviews of hurcan or itza...going back to turneffee in May. I made the right choice for me...thanks again

Can't believe that I sat down to post my own review of Itza Lodge and find this one! Two in a row when there have been so few...

See my report as I try to touch on some of these comments...

Last edited:
Itza Lodge has lost it's way. There have been many players, the newest is a doctor from Georgia that got caught up in the beauty, but did not realize the beast. He has recently purchased it with great plans.....but....the remoteness of it, the issues of logistics, and the pain of being 45 miles offshore makes it a daunting if not impossible task to make it work. I wish him well, but the chances of him administrating it remotely are slim and none.

It is absolutely a paradise, but paradise with few amenities. It does have possibilities but will take very deep pockets to make it work. If you want the best diving left in the Caribbean, this is the place, but be ready for no power, no hot water, and limited facilities .

I did beach dives and collected dinner every day, lobster, conch, fish were plentiful eight years ago, I don't know how stocks are now. I was there right before the lion fish invasion in that region. The new owner has purchased a new 150KW generator, and more batteries for the solar system, but still has severe boat issues. If you live on an island, number one priority is capable boats, which has never been addressed there.

If you want the best diving left in the Caribbean, this is the spot.....but be ready for 'rustic' and carry your own PLB.

If you want the best diving left in the Caribbean, this is the spot.....but be ready for 'rustic' and carry your own PLB.

Or stay at Huracan. We're heading down for out 8th trip in a month. We have always had power, generally lots of hot water and the boats have always been reliable (with one exception many years ago where we got some bad fuel).

In the entire time we've been going to Huracan, there has never really been anything going on at Itza. A group of students perhaps, or a large family, but always with a rented boat. And I agree it's a shame. It's a cool place but nobody has ever marketed the place at all, let alone well.

Huracan was started by a couple from Belgium. Ruth and Carl built it up to what it is today. Undoubtedly the only choice for diving accommodations on Long Caye today. Is now owned by a Frenchman, Bernard and his son Christen runs the place.

They have successfully made the transition of ownership and run a quality operation at Huracan.

Would be my choice if I was to venture down there again. I may be a bit biased as was part owner of Itza for almost six years, unfortunately the partners at itza were never on the same page, had no understanding of the importance of having capable boats, as when you live on an island..... Duh.

Itza is an absolute paradise, but it takes infrastructure, vision and capable folks to make it happen. Many $$$$'s were spent in trying to get that in place, but really never happened. One of our partners lived on the island for a couple of years, and did a really good job getting it to a point that was inviting to folks....but tensions, money issues and romance messed that up.

It could be an absolute gold mine....for somebody with lots of money, onsite management and proper equipment. The new owner is clueless, he is not going to make it as he is trying to run the place from the states. He was struck as I was by the beauty of the area, but clouded his judgement as mine which resulted in his acquisition of the property. I wish him well, but he stepped into a huge pile of <you know> and he has a long ways to go to make it what it could be.

There are no septic tanks, the toilets are compost type, and do a good job at keeping the water lens in good shape. But when the wind blows certain directions.....

Itza differs from Huracan as it can house large groups in it's 24 rooms. The building itself is very nice all Belizan hardwoods, and directly on the beach for that nice breeze. If you go make sure to get a room on the second floor in the main building.

The diving is the best the Caribbean has to offer right now, pretty healthy corals and in general the reef. That in itself would make it attracting for hard core divers who want the best, but able to adjust to the situation. Make sure to carry everything you need with you, as there are no K-marts on this private island, in fact there is nothing but you, sun, sand, iguanas and the most beautiful reef left on the planet. Itza is for sure a once in a lifetime experience...just be ready!

It could be an absolute gold mine....for somebody with lots of money, onsite management and proper equipment.

There's an old saying that the best way to make a small fortune in Belize is to start with a large one.

Sadly, there are many examples of this all over the country.

Stoo....did ya make it back down?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom