I've narrowed it down....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KimmieR

Reaction score
Hi gang

I am so close to buying a BC of my very own. Woohoo! I just need a little help. The question is, should I buy a Scubapro Accent, a Scubapro Accent NT, or a Scubapro Classic? What is the difference between the Accent and the Accent NT.

I dive in the warm waters of Florida, or the Caribbean if I'm lucky enough to go on vacation. I would like weight integration and a jacket BC. There will be NO technical diving in my future, just dives at approx 80 feet or less to look at fish.

I welcome any and all opinions, and if you feel like you need to talk me into a model I have not mentioned, please feel free to do so. Thanks in advance.

Kimmie

PS. I was out on the Gulf of Mexico yesterday and saw a whole school of dolphins from the boat. Baby dolphins are too cute :)

Kimmie,

I cannot tell from your post or your "bio" whether you are of the male or female persuasion. If the latter, there are BCs that are designed with the specifics of the female form in mind. E.g., the SeaQuest Diva. But, whichever persuasion, the best advice is to try them on and see how they fit.

Stick with a reliable brand--and Scubapro is one of those--and make certain it fits well. Your local dive shop (LDS) can help you with fit. Hints:

(1) It should not be too tight or loose. The latter can be a real problem since the BC will "wander" if it is too loose. One thing to do is to adjust all the various belts and make certain they have a some adjustment room left.

(2) Try all the features to make certain you can reach them and that they work.

(3) If you do not need all the most recent bells and whistles, look at "last year's model" if the LDS has any on special. Sometimes you can get a very good price: e.g., some new BC's have "improved" locations for the lower dump valve--located in front instead of behind; the older models with the back dump location are selling for a lower price in my area.

(4) If you can rent what you want, do so and try it first. You may discover something you like or dislike in the process.

Hope this helps,

Joewr

Oh, yes, if I offended by not knowing whether you are M or F, sorrrryyyyy!

Originally posted by joewr
Kimmie,

I cannot tell from your post or your "bio" whether you are of the male or female persuasion. If the latter, there are BCs that are designed with the specifics of the female form in mind.

No offense taken. I too often forget that not everyone speaks English as their native tongue. Kimmie is a nickname for Kimberly, which is a feminine name in English.

Thanks for the advice. I am aware of the scubapro ladyhawk, but it is a back floatation BC and I am trying to avoid those. I have not looked other "made for the ladies" BC's, but perhaps I should.

Any suggestions ladies?

You really should look at the BC's disigned for women, they are quite different. My wife went through several standard (mens?) BC's without much luck. She now dives a Diva and loves it. Do yourself a favor and look around some and see if the shops will let you rent/pool test first.

Zagnut's wife (aka Zagnette) recently purchased the Ranger Zena BC which is their design for the lady's shape.

You might e-mail him and find out how she liked it.

One think that I can appreciate is it's size...it is relatively small and looks to be a good choice for a travel BC

I use a Diva QD, which is a "women's" BC. But, not all women need a women's BC. The main difference is most have a shorter backpack, so they lay against the backbone, rather than hitting you in the butt (since men normally have longer torsos and flatter butts) and they also take into consideration the chest factor. But, I've known many women that are very happy with "men's" BCs and feel smothered in "women's" BCs. Just because you are a women, doesn't mean you have to get one "made" for a women. I think the marketing is limiting women more than it did before.

That being said, I do find the Diva more comfortable, because I'm short waisted. But, I have learned from trying BCs on, that Seaquest seems to use a shorter backpack on most of their BCs. Scubapro seems to use the longest (of what my shop carries...got to admit I haven't tried them all...yet!)

The classic is a good BC IF it is comfortable on you. Should not fit "snug" in the shop (except in the cummerbund) because it has to allow room for the bladder to expand. The main difference between the Accent and the Accent NT (I think) is the Accent is capible of weight integration but you have to buy the pockets seperately. The Accent NT comes with the velcro weight pockets, plus SS D-rings. I could be wrong...Scubapro comes out with different versions of their BCs and I have a hard time keeping them straight.

Basically, try them all on in the shop. Move around with arms up, arms back, inflate and deflate the BC to make sure it doesn't "squeeze" you. Have someone hang on the tank strap (to simulate the weight of the tank) to make sure there are no pressure points. Check under the arms and see if it is rubbing. Also, take into account the thickness of wetsuit you will normally be wearing. If possible, bring that with you when you try it on. Then, if you like it, take it in the water if you can.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom