Izu - IOP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floyd2466

Reaction score
Went diving in Izu Oceanic Park last weekend, based on recommendations given by other members of this board. This was the 4th location to dive in Izu, and I have to say, by far the best. Obviously its not Okinawa or Palau, but lots of different fish and pretty fun scenery for diving in. Would definately recommend it for those looking for a good dive spot in Izu. And the town itself is surprisingly pretty.

The only problem was that it was crowded as hell. But that is only to be expected, given it was a gorgeous Saturday in August.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Hi
Glad you enjoyed it. There are some nice walking spots just north of the dive site, about 5 minutes by car.

It does get crowded this time of year, one of the reasons I am in Florida right now. One way you can escape the crowds is by making a surface swim to one of the far walls before descending. Most divers don't make it that far and it's some of the best diving at that site.

I'm a WWII buff, and always wanted to visit/dive Okinawa, and the Ogasawaras (especially Chichi Jima, the infamous Island behind the WWII Story of The Flyboys and President George H.W. Bush). And would like to see the Izu Peninsula as well, just to see for once what the mass Japanese Recreational Scuba Scene looks like. . .

Jagfish, just checked out your website. Wow, cheap prices! But do the prices include tanks, or is just the instructor fee? Also, do you have gear for hire?

floyd2466:
Jagfish, just checked out your website. Wow, cheap prices! But do the prices include tanks, or is just the instructor fee? Also, do you have gear for hire?
Hi
Yup, includes everything you need for 2 dives. Have gear for hire as well...

IOP has some great boat dives.

Saturday was particularly busy... it took 3 hours and 40 minutes to drive from Tokyo, 120 km. Normally it takes less than 2 hours. I called the diving service to say that we would be late and they replied that everyone was going to be late. That is why most of our clients take the bullet train, 45 minutes from Tokyo to Atami.

Futo and Yawatano are similar to IOP, very good beach diving.

What an old thread! I noticed an error on my post 6 years ago...there are no boat dives directly from IOP, that would be from Futo, but the dives are actually near IOP.

To dive IOP, you must hire a dive guide there or go with a dive shop. It also helps if you can read and speak fluent Japanese since they do not speak English.

That day we will be diving Futo.

All the best,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom