J Dogs Philippine Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weenerdoggs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was asked by Gabe to do a little trip report about the good diving I had in the Philippines during my vacation August 27-September 15th. I am all too happy to do so and hope you folks enjoy the pictures!

I had the pleasure of getting over to the P.I. with my girl Sheila and good dive buddy Casey. We hit up Palawan, Cebu and Bohol and made dives at El Nido (Palawan) and Alona Beach (Bohol).

We made a long road trip up the main island of Palawan to a tiny beach town called El Nido. There were about 4 dive operators there and we booked a 3 tank charter. the rain was pelting us as we made our way to the dive sites. But what a treat under water! Coral growing on coral, hundreds of varieties to be seen. Sponges and seasquirts abound. And we also were treated by viewing a cuttlefish who didn't seem a bit phased by our presence as i was able to get within 4 feet of him!

The surface stop was to a nice beach and as the weather broke to sunshine we snacked away on adobo and curries in a little beach shack. On to a final dive and then back to El Nido proper to enjoy fresh fish for dinner and Tanduay rum and coke.

After heading through Cebu we reached Bohol and the popular area known as Alona Beach at Panglao Island (which is attached to Bohol proper via bridges). Alona is covered with multiple resorts and dive-shops and we were able to find a local shop to book a charter with to the premiere dive spot called Balicasag Island. On Balicasag we were wowed with more corals and a school of juvenile barracuda. It was great to have our own boat and guide for a $40 (per person price tag). Its not too often to have the boat all to yourself!

The Pics speak for themselves! Enjoy!

J.

Attachments

• BestBangkaPic.jpg
    BestBangkaPic.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Casey At Coral Head.JPG
    Casey At Coral Head.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Corals+.JPG
    Corals+.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Cuttle.JPG
    Cuttle.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 30
  • Karst1.JPG
    Karst1.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 27
  • Palms.JPG
    Palms.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 26
  • Lionfish.JPG
    Lionfish.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 30
  • SurfaceShack.JPG
    SurfaceShack.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Baracuda.JPG
    Baracuda.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 23
Thank you for sharing, I will be in the PI in late January. Can your refer a good/safe operator in Bohol? How were your accomodations? Any references? Was it off peak season there? Thanks again for sharing this.

Hey gunslinger808!

Well I hope you will have a great trip!

I have a couple recommendations for you regards Bohol.

For accommodations we stayed at OOPs Cottages, right behind the OOps bare and restaurant/cafe. They are the best deal in Bohol at 1000 pesos/20 $ per night for a room with a fan (in both low and high season) and they give you 10% of your bar and food costs if you eat there. OOOPs is very simple but clean, very basic setup. The showers are only cold and a bit brackish but if you can handle the simplicity the setting is great.

The other places on Alona beach were a fair bit more expensive at about $40 and up/nt. You might try Alona Tropical Resort as a second bet, they were doing some upgrades when I was there and some of the rooms may be ready (historically this resort has been quite popular and they are more upscale than OOps).

For diveshops:

If you are bringing your own gear use the diveshop behind OOps. They are inexpensive and locally owned. As mentioned in my post, a two tank boat dive trip to Balicasag will cost you about 2000 pesos ($42) bucks with rental gear. Barter for lower if you have your own gear, lets say 1500-1800 pesos. The rental gear at the less expensive local shops was pretty shabby (so bring your own if you can) but the guide was great and the boats have less people on them. Your booking will keep money in local hands and dive prices reasonable. I went to one place called Peter's house where a European guy wanted to charge me 2900 pesos for the very same trip I got for 2000P at the local shop.

However, sometimes it is good to mix it up, try Sea Explorers (about 100 feet from OOps) if you want, they have multiple locations throughout the top dive locations in the Philippines and despite the slightly higher fees they always get good reviews (and the do multiple island safaris...that can be a good way to get around to more than one island).

Note:
if you have lunch on the shore on Balicasag Island be ready to be approached by multiple shell dealers (I met about 75 of them who pounced on me quickly hehehe). They will try to sell lots of elaborate shells for big money, I opted for a few smaller ones to send them a few bucks only after finishing my lunch, if you buy at the start you wont get a chance to eat!

January is a great time, the weather should be good and it is getting into the start of the busy season (I believe the tops season is December to May).

If you book any tours do it through a contact met where you stay, we booked through our favorite bartender Louie (at Ooops) and he was able to get us good deals through friends/family. Panglao island is a small community and everyone has contacts, you don't need to worry about having a hard time making arrangements. Being that the season is busier you might want to book a couple nights ahead of time at OOps and upgrade if you need too. If you want a place with fluffier towels and such, choose Alona Tropical. If you have a group of 4 people, maybe Pyramid where you can rent a little cabin for I believe a fairly reasonable price. I am a simple guy and I don't mind the brackish showers as long as the beer is cold (like at OOps).

Search the net, under Alona beach, everything is pretty easy to find!

Hope this helps!

And it is safe, we have never had any safety concerns when in the PI. Ever.

Have Fun,

J

PS I am sure we will meet you diving soon enough, feel free to give me a call at 808 927 3152 for any questions on Hawaii stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom