J valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

looking for a working/good condition vintage J valve M25x2, not US DOT 3/4 I want to use my old regulator, which is 40 years old, but it cannot fit my current valve (DIN with INT adapter). The valve neck is wider than the internal part of the yoke, so I cannot attach it.
Any suggestion where to find it, appreciate that very much.
Thanks.

It would be a great help if you named the make and model of this 40 year old regulator of yours as it may be possible to replace the A clamp and retainer with a more modern heaver section A clamp. However I suspect your trying to fit a old twin hose regulator and if its something like a Siebe Gorman Merlin Mk VI the A clamp retainer was silver soldered onto the body your stuck trying to modify the regulator.

As for getting a post type J piller vale in M25x2 in Europe (from your stated adress) again this is also possible.
One engineering firm in Leicester England used to be the European distribution centre for US Divers back in the late 80's and under the MDE label used also to make such a valve with reserve for the UK offshore market in the days when diving contractors could get a scuba exemption to work on the shallow sector of the North Sea on scuba (30MSW) rather than unbilical but the HSE stipulated that they had to have a reserve.
Little of this gear is around today as most was dumped for the scrap value.

But you do have quite a few options IMHO
1. A new unused display old stock DOT American NPSM thread cylinder with US Divers Reserve are still around in UK Historical circles but for display only as its made with the wrong sustaned load cracking alloy
2. The MDE Mark 1 basic with additional reserve that fits into the blank plug on the side. But these are only available in the old British 3/4 BSPP thread.
3. If you in France then a firm called La Spirotechnique made a reserve pull valve for a twin hose regulator also called the Mistral.
4. If you in Germany then the German Draeger outfit or Barracuda also made m25 valves with pull reserve but these were made by MDE for Baracuda in M25x2. The list goes on and on but for the next question I guess why are you still using a 40 year old regulator LOL Iain

...for the next question I guess why are you still using a 40 year old regulator

Not to answer for @gordanm, but it's the vintage forum, divers here enjoy getting old gear to run and then dive with it. I have the reg I learned to dive on operational and dive it occasionally for the nostalgia value, it will be 57 later this summer. Besides the mechanic in me hates to see a piece of machinery languishing in a bin when it could be running and used.

Bob

All I dive with are 40+ years old regs. If I find better regs I'll buy them but it hasn't happened yet. Scubapro MK5 /156 a bullet proof combo.

All I dive with are 40+ years old regs. If I find better regs I'll buy them but it hasn't happened yet. Scubapro MK5 /156 a bullet proof combo.

Yeah Its a well known and researched unconscious bias,
The same reason that car manufacturers offer better discounts to driving instructors to let learners use a particular brand first, and why scuba dive brands offer a better deal to dive schools than to retail dive shops and why your mothers cooking was the best.

As for you finding a regulator with better performance than your Mk5 , to use another well know source: “Seek and ye shall find” It’s not hard.

You may also ask yourself why if the Mk5 was so good a design that an original CZ121 brass swivel bolt failed so often that they were upgraded to stainless. An unconscious bias? LOL just saying.

Not to answer for @gordanm, but it's the vintage forum, divers here enjoy getting old gear to run and then dive with it. I have the reg I learned to dive on operational and dive it occasionally for the nostalgia value, it will be 57 later this summer. Besides the mechanic in me hates to see a piece of machinery languishing in a bin when it could be running and used.
Bob

Bob. Beggers the question then why you dont answer the OP's question.
Good job its not a vintage climbing forum I guess, Hob nailed boots hemp rope and twill wool socks dont quite cut the same image I guess. LOL Iain

Yeah Its a well known and researched unconscious bias,
The same reason that car manufacturers offer better discounts to driving instructors to let learners use a particular brand first, and why scuba dive brands offer a better deal to dive schools than to retail dive shops and why your mothers cooking was the best.

As for you finding a regulator with better performance than your Mk5 , to use another well know source: “Seek and ye shall find” It’s not hard.

You may also ask yourself why if the Mk5 was so good a design that an original CZ121 brass swivel bolt failed so often that they were upgraded to stainless. An unconscious bias? LOL just saying.

No doubt that was how I was introduced to that combo, although back then is was the MK5/109 not the 156. They have stood the test of time, 50+ years of use (for one anyway my original reg) without failures aside from the rare minor free flow that is stopped by turning the knob a little, is convicting enough for me. You see I'd rather have reliability than new, latest and greatest. Others like yourself not so much. OK with me, we all have our opinions. It's not like I haven't looked and tried others down thru the years. I find most as good but better, not yet.

I should add that it not the same regulator in configuration it was in 1968 when it was purchased.
It has been upgraded thru the years and now sports a 3000psi yoke (that looks like it could do more) 5LPs 2HPs an elbow at the upgraded 109 to 156 balanced 2nd stage and a OPRV on the MKV 1st stage. My other 3 are the same way; one is Mrs. AD's, she uses it in shallow water and pools.

My other 2 vintage regulators are a USD Calypso J mounted on my pony bottle.

And my toy a USD Aqua Lung Jet Air double hose. The hardest cracking regulator I've ever used. Once it cracks the air flows but you guta make it happen!

are you still using a 40 year old regulator

Even older...

181122-Superior, Double, Lagun, Thanksgiving-019.JPG

LOL

Over 40? No Kidding.
But which one?
The flat top on the right with the bad haircut or the trumpet player on the left.
They both look like something grandma kicked out LOL

Over 40? No Kidding.
But which one?
The flat top on the right with the bad haircut or the trumpet player on the left.
They both look like something grandma kicked out LOL
Try a Scubapro Pilot second stage, and see whether you can find any modern regulator to match its performance characteristics.

SeaRat

Attachments

• IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 209
...and why your mothers cooking was the best.

Obviously, you haven't been over for dinner. Both my brother and I, in different branches of the service, from day one we could never understand why the guys were bitching about the food.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom